1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Taking A Little Beating…

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeeMC, Feb 12, 2003.

1. GeeMC

GeeMC Member

Well the truck is starting to take a “light” beating. After two storms or about 20 hours use, the driver and passenger windows are all scratched from sand getting imbedded between the glass and the rubber seal. If this continues, the visibility will be zero in no time. I just put new tires on and they are the size recommended for the truck, although they are beefier. I was thinking of putting mud guards on but I think they would just get trashed and torn off. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks,

Bruce

2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

i usually wash my trucks after each event. i also clean my windows each time i fuel up.
    other than that, not much.

3. Bruce,

I installed the formed hard plastic GMC dealer mud flaps on my 98 2500 4x4 with 265 85x16 mud and snows.

They scrape a little when I turn tight when I have the plow on and with 600-800lbs of salt in the back, but they have been on for this is the 3 rd year. Never lost one yet.

As far as the windows, carry a soft long handled car wash type brush with you and when you stop for gas use it instead of the squeegee in the window wash bucket.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

One of my new employees showed me a neat trick.Use one of those swiffer wet jet mops.They have little replacable pads you just put on the end.Cut the handle down,and fill the bottle with Rain X de-icer and windex.
    works great,and takes only a few secs on site to clean the windows.Saves running to a gas station,or using snow to try and get the windows clean.

5. neilc

neilc Junior Member

about those side window weather strips.. they're made out of a sponge like material.. hold all kind a grit.. come summer when I try to wash up and keep glass klean, first rain or dew sponge just smears the glass all over again

brite idea there chevy.. old 86 truck had more of a squeagy type of strip that used to work but now they fixed it
    oh well
    neil:rolleyes:

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Bruce, in addition to what was said,the abuse your truck is taking is normal ,that why we get good money to plow right?Who care if it gets beat up,we do our best to keep it in good condition,and m,ake the most $$ we can with it ,so its paid for itself. My 91GMC has over 500hrs of plowing,the windows are just starting to get scratched real good,That truck dont owe me a dime.

7. jvcski

jvcski Member

Yo Dad,
    This would be your son Jay i must say why don't you just get some mud guards and some wheel well fenders so that the itty bitty rocks don't scratch your window to me that seems like a good idea, and i know this guy told me of a great place that sells them too cap world :eek:

:D adios

Last edited: Feb 13, 2003
  8. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

chow?

or ciao?;)