1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Takeuchi TL-150 and 810ss

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by babaji, Oct 25, 2004.

1. babaji

babaji Junior Member
    from Ontario

I have heard a lot of conflicting things about how tracked skidsteers perform in the snow. I have a Takeuchi TL-150 tracked machine and was considering purchasing an 810ss for a subcontract I may get this winter. However I would hate to make such an extravagant purchase only to find out my tracked machine has no traction or other similar problems on packed snow / ice.

Can someone please help?

thanks in advance!!

2. babaji

babaji Junior Member
    from Ontario

Please, anyone have any idea how a rubber tracked skid steer make out in the snow?

:help:

3. babaji

babaji Junior Member
    from Ontario

hmmm no reply, was it a stupid question or do I smell bad?

Seriously can anyone shed some light on this for me?

4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

I used a friends bobcat with tracks , it wasnt that good , it would slide all over the place compared to the wheeled bobcat. Replacing the tracks is more expensive than tires

5. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Our ASV MD2810 ran great last season in the snow. We used an 8' pusher box, which pushed better than the trucks in some areas. It's a great setup. I'm sure it depends on the wieght of the machine too. Go for it!

6. babaji

babaji Junior Member
    from Ontario

Thanks for the replys

@MDirrigation - did it slip and slide all the time or only "under a load" when you had a plowfull of snow, was it able to climb hills without a load?

@plowed - the ASV MD2810 does that have treads like big lugs (takeuchi) or lotsa smaller ones like a snowmobile? The takeuchi weighs 10,600 lbs without the bucket, i also have 1,000 lbs or counterweights on the rear. Will this weight help or hinder me?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  7. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

pumpkin: Do a search, we've been using the ASV RC100 and RC50's for a couple of years now.. We use the 8911ss and 810ss, both are great plows. Do a search and take a look.

8. plowed

plowed Senior Member

The ASV has a somewhat aggresive tread, it goes anywhere. That weight should be good. The ASV is somewhere around 8,000lbs perhaps a little less.

9. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

The ASV has very little ground pressure, but has the ability to move alot of snow and dirt for that matter. Check it out www.asvi.com :D

10. babaji

babaji Junior Member
    from Ontario

Yes John I have done many searches, not just here and I keep coming up with the same result, conflicting / differeing view points. I am sure your ASV works great! It looked great from what I remember. It does however appear have a very agressive track like the Cat machines. Unfortunately my machine has a tread more like the Bobcat T300. Large flat lugs without any real point or tooth.

I have heard the people who make the Snow Wolf plows warn me about tracked machines like mine (they did however mention that Cat and ASV were exceptions). The folks at Takeuchi also warned me about poor performance in the snow. Then I discovered this site and found this post with a photo of a Bobcat T300. It looks like part of a serious fleet! I wish the author of that thread would chime in. So it got me thinking perhaps I may get away with being able to push a plow.

I am starting to think maybe I will wait out this season and just play around in the snow a bit to get to know my machine. Perhaps working with my bucket here on my property, will give me some sense of how it may act with a plow, or perhaps I'll demo a bobcat plow from a local dealer, that should give me some idea. A few people have also mentioned to me that running around on asphalt for a subcontract may cost me a pair of tracks, which I have no idea how much they cost perhaps as high as 5 thousand dollars. And that would take all the profit out of a subcontract.

In either case I'm really glad I came across this site, Cheers to all of you :drinkup:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2004