1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Takedowns

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by WilliamOak, Mar 1, 2011.

1. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I have a lightbar on the way, and it has takedowns/alleys, in the past I have always turned the bars around so the takedowns face the rear as thats where I always seem to need additional lighting when plowing or even working at night. Do they help out that much with scene lighting when facing front or is it to get noticed more? I guess I have never put much thought into it..

2. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Wud ya get? I like the alleys best. When it comes time to getting a new one for me, ill do takedowns alleys and rear work lights.

3. WilliamOak

48" whelen patriot with clear lenses, 10 strobes, takedowns, alleys, and a full LED traffic advisor in the rear. Plannin on sellin 6 of the strobes and replacing them with LED's. I can't decide on whether or not to turn the takedowns to the rear or not.

4. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

If your gonna pull it apart to replace strobes with leds, why not put clear work/running in the front and back then?

I have a 47'' code3 mx strobe bar that I thought about doing that to! I never use the takedowns cause they always seem to draw to much power for what they do. Mine has front and rear takedowns and I never even wired them to a switch, but I do use my front clear work/running lights

5. WilliamOak

I might not replace the strobes IF I can somehow get them to flash amber w/o amber lenses. But I don't think I can necessarily do that.. I suppose I could put work lights in the front and rear... never thought about that really, depends on what the takedown module's go for

6. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

you can't get the strobes to flash amber Colin. I'd just tare apart the bar (light i did) and flip it all around.

you will need a wire harness for the additional LEDs you replaced the strobes with. Its not too pricey (like $30) and you can sell one of the two power supplies as it won't be needed.

7. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

One problem with lights pointed out the back from on top of your truck. I tryed reverse lights on a lightbar before. It tended to light up my bed a bit as well as things in it. I like to be able to focus on whats behind me, and not whats in the bed. That's why I run flood lights on my Hitch salters and plug them into the reverse pin on the trailer plug. On my truck it runs a higher amperage circuit separate yet triggered by the reverse lights on the truck.

8. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Yes the only use of upper clear lights would be for work use only NOT reversing lights. Reverse lights should be placed near bumper, hitch, spreader ect.
    I had mounted a set on the back of my truck tool box and hated them, I have 2 DDM tuning Led floods mounted on my salt spreader and love them, I want to find a location to mount them on my truck for summer use, with out the spreader mounted.

9. WilliamOak

I'm not concerned about their functionality as reverse lights as I had them on my old 48" edge so I know that deal, the question was more towards do they actually make a difference/serve a purpose facing forward? If they dont really then I'll turn them around.. I don't use anything besides under the bumper lights for reverse lights, the lights in the bar would be more for scene lighting to use in the fall for landscaping or for loading a tailgate salter etc etc...

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

For police the take down light serves a purpose- police will stop a vehicle then angle the cruiser 10 to 15* out to the left to provide protection to the officer from traffic coming from behind. The theory is they will hit the cruiser and bounce rather than side swiping the length of the 2 vehicles. When in that angle the cruiser headlights do not point directly on the stopped vehicle. Take downs are normally angled to the right about 15* for those situations. Police will also use them to see what the stopped vehicle occupants are doing - they are generally around 55W each.
    They have no function in normal driving and cannot be set to halogen flashers so the only use would be lighting up ahead of you when plowing- and lights above the drivers eye level will only illuminate the falling snow more and obscure the view. Turn the bar around and use them for cargo loading/unloading lighting or extra back scene lighting.

11. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

My MX7000 has 2-55 watt upfront and I use early, not that I have HIDs in my plow and truck ill probably never use again, but with factory head lights they made a difference, atleast to me, nice for seeing deer eyes

12. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i turned all the bars around on all 3 of my trucks to have the takedowns facing the rear.

13. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

My bar has the rear work lights on it and they are pretty much pointless. I wish they did more.

14. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

you have a T/A on that put it on the truck properly and use the T/A

15. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

16. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

take down lights on a car work because they are set to light up the vehicle in front of the car.

take downs on a truck are too high to serve any purpose.
    i have them in the bar on my 02, and used them once, for about 30 seconds till i realized they were useless.

17. WilliamOak

Thinkin I'll turn them around no doubt, I have headlights for the front if I want more lights I'll just do HID's lol. Can never have enough light behind you either

18. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

they work good for rear work lights. i can light up a 50-70 foot area behind the truck.