1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Take up Bearing Removal

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Moonlighter, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Hey guys I am trying to replace the take up bearings on a 8' Air Flow SS V Box, I have the drum off the salter and have cleaned all the grease off. The lock collars on each side have divot holes but no set screws in them, without those coming off I don't see how to get the bearings off to change them out. Are they press on collars or am I missing something here? Thanks in advance for your help. Brian

2. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Torch the suckers. They are usually held on by allen screws, but are too corroded most of the time to get them off.

3. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

after you torch the outer part of the bearing. take a dremmel and cut the inner part of the bearing. take out a small "pie section" out. clean up the shaft, anti seaze, and reinstall.

4. Moonlighter

After looking at pictures of new bearings, what I am thinking to be lock collars are actually apart of the bearing itself. Thanks for all your help guys I will torch them off tomorrow and clean the drum on the wire wheel. I was thinking the outer rings were separate lock rings that held the bearings in place. They are very badly rusted and were not taken care of very well at all.

5. paponte

paponte Senior Member

They are the inner part of the bearing, there is no lock collar. The shaft just gets held in by the bearings hence the allen key holes.

6. LON

LON Senior Member

they are called extended collar bearings. Torch is the quickest & easiest way.:yow!:

7. paponte

paponte Senior Member

I also forgot to mention, if you still have the bearings on it need I say grease fire!

8. Moonlighter

Thanks guys I got busy with some last minute cleanups and truck work other people needed done so I have not gotten back to torching them off yet. Yes the bearings are still on it and I figured it was going to set a fire from grease. Thanks for all the help and let it snow already damn, everyone west of us is getting all kinds of white stuff.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010