1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Take the plow to work?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by hero419, Dec 18, 2008.

1. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

Going to get a lot of snow while I am at work, it is a 30 min. drive. I don't think I will be able to make it up the drive when I get home. Do I put the plow on tonight and drive back and forth to work with it?

Wait never mind, its a snow bear without lights. guess that answers my question

2. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

if it a snowbear just put in the bed of the truck

3. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

good point.

I'm a big guy, but not that big.

It must be around 300#

4. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Mines going on tonight and coming to work with me tomorrow.

Bruce

5. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

I just did that last week - we got about 16" overnight and was predicted to continue all day. Started at 5 and made my last pass on the way out to work. Of course, got there to find bright sunshine all day. Whatever - didn't hurt anything, except for getting home at 9pm that night and being so tired I forgot to drop the plow.

6. PhantomRacer

PhantomRacer Senior Member
    from boston

The SB covers my truck lights, so I got the lite kit and replaced the lights with real plow lights (seach the forum for my posts on it).

I take it to work now. I tilt it down a bit to get air to the radiator on the highway, otherwise it blocks it pretty good and can overheat it the truck.

7. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

I thought you had to use the bar that holds it in the up position. The only thing holding it up without the bar is the magnets in the winch

8. PhantomRacer

PhantomRacer Senior Member
    from boston

I do use it, but it doesn't hold it up tight (at least on mine, they might have re engineered the part).

I lower it a hair so it flops around a bit, then bungee cord it so it doesn't...and the safety C bar between the plow and the frame is still there to do it's work. It is being held up by the winch, but it doesn't fall even an inch. If the plow fell, it would be caught by the safety bar.

No way would I NOT use it. I don't want to get stranded somewhere.. or worse...have it come down on the highway! That would totally suck!

10 years on the same winch..pushing my luck I know.. but still seems OK.

9. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

I will try it when I get home. I want to see if I will have enough clearance for my headlights.

10. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Put the plow so it's only 1'' or 2'' off the ground.

11. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

that should make it easy to get home in 10 inches of snow. :rolleyes: