1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Take a gander

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Theshoemaker, Aug 24, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Theshoemaker

Theshoemaker Senior Member

This is an apartment complex that i got offered to bid on. I think a truck with 8ft blade and a skidsteer with 8ft box should be able to do this is 3hr with 2-4inch snowfall?? Anyone have any suggestions as to how long for walks, figure a 2stage blower and 2 shovels.Maybe 500-800lbs to do walks?? Salt for lot, i'm thinking a ton to do main aisles/drives and another ton to salt everything. Any imput or suggestions??

I don't see alot of places to put snow, i'm thinking it has to go where it's black.

Thanks

brook.jpg

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Not to be critical, but...IMO you are so far out of bounds on what it will take to do this place, it's blowing my mind! How the hell are you gonna get all the snow to the black areas? There will be cars everywhere, you'll have to make multiple trips back to get everything clean. A 2-stage blower and 2 shovels and you'll be doing the walks for 3-4 hrs.
    Time to re-think this one.

3. Theshoemaker

Skid with a box won't take the snow back there?? Pick-up pushing aisles/parking spots out and box running circles stacking snow?? A local company did a place twice as big as this with 2 skids and 2 trucks and have had the account since 2000ish

4. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

Not to be critical but have you ever pushed snow with a skid before??

5. Theshoemaker

Yes,did a semi dealership last 3 seasons

6. Theshoemaker

What is the "not to be critical" part??

7. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

I didnt want to come across as a dick i guess, there is just a lot of area to pick up a lot of snow if you only want to stack where you have marked. It seems you would be back tracking a ton more than it is worth in my opinion.

8. Theshoemaker

there really isn't alot of places to put snow without blocking sidewalks. What equipment would you suggest??

9. Theshoemaker

I also plan on being there from the time there is pushable snow until it subsides, really wont have much chance to accumulate alot.

10. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

What part of cleveland is it in....(snowbelt or non-snowbelt),, there is not a lot of places to put snow and at night you probally can figure cars in every parking spot. most apartment complexes i use to do wre notoriously cheap.. be careful, you may be able to use a quad for some of the sidewalks also ... good luck

11. Theshoemaker

Thanks, non-snowbelt north west area.

12. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

it looks to me like a lot of back dragging in two parts (right center of the map) what is there expectations on salt, how much , how often...you can control some accumilation that way. i think where the snow is going to go is your main issue.

13. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

the skid with a 8 ft pusher isn't going to a) stack the snow very high and being that you are limited on grass space, you may want to negotiate removal terms now and b) going to take a while to move one pusher full at a time to stack.

no question that you can plow this with one pick up and one skid, but i think it's going to take you more than 3 hours...to be honest. I would add another pick up or else try and add a backhoe.

14. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

3 hrs seems low. back dragging takes a lot of time yet. I would get a loader or backhoe in there to push some of the snow towards the ends or atleast so you can stack it high. Alot of cars are going to always be there so figure that in your time.

15. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

I have to agree, the time required with the equipment listed is way to low.

Some of the pushes require going the entire length of the complex to get to the black stacking area.

I lived in a complex like this a while back and it was done with a pickup cutting everything in to the center of all the main drives and a loader with a box pushing it all the way to the stacking areas.

I have no idea what the pay is like here or the size of the lot other than what I can guess from the picture.

My company is does much larger commercial work so I tend to think of everything in loaders so my opinion may be one sided.