1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Taillights stuck on?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by cwby_ram, Feb 1, 2011.

1. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Ok, I've never had this happen, and it's probably got a simple answer. I've got a '98 Dodge 2500, was taking a nap after today's plowing when my wife woke me up to tell me that the taillights were still on. That's odd. But I've been having issues with the headlight switch, so I went out and took it all apart thinking that was the cause. It doesn't seem to be, when the switch was totally unplugged the taillights were still on. Everything seems to function normally, except that with the truck off and all the lights in the off position, the taillights are still burning. Anyone heard of this? Got any ideas? They're just gonna burn til this storm is over, but I'm gonna have to figure this out sooner or later.
    Thanks!

2. Davidl79

Davidl79 Junior Member

Sounds like you have a bad brake light switch. It will be right above the brake pedal. pretty easy to change.

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

check the 7 way plug or 4way flat at the rear of the truck also.

4. bill7101

bill7101 Member

Is it brake lights or the tail lights staying on? I have seen the dodge trucks with the brake lights that stay on from bad brake switches bt i know i have changed a few BCMs from the driving lights staying on in the caravans, the headlight switch just requests that the BCM turns on the lights, cant remeber if the late 90s trucks had that same setup though

5. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

What he said, had that happen to the 99' last year. The 7 way got nasty on the inside and was shorting (actually had the power prong glowing)

6. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Well, after a long storm, the taillights went out. Maybe there was some ice shorting the trailer plug. There were a couple electrical gremlins running around, but they seem to have gone away for now. Thanks for the input guys!