1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Taillight question- need help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bison1973, Feb 15, 2004.

1. bison1973

bison1973 Member

'91 GMC K1500- On the right rear the brake and signal lights don't work but the taillights do(all bulbs light- they just don't brighten for the brakes or flash for the turn signal). Everything works on the left side as well as both sides on the front, although the right side front signal flashes very rapidly. Any ideas as to what is causing this? I have tried new bulbs already. Thanks for your help.

2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

What style bulbs does your tail lamps use? If the are the round based bulbs #1157, You most likely need the updated tail lamp boards. The updated boards use the blade type bulbs #3157. The lamp socket boards are available from the dealer.

3. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I had a simlar problem about a year ago on my 88, which i found a problem in where somboby wired a trailer plug and did a poor job at it. Well the wire broke at that point and i had to redo all of the connections, it was a pita...Rob

4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Where as ,you have replaced the bulb, the problem is in the light socket or wiring. As mentioned above, check wiring of this tail light.

5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

You will need a new board in the taillight assy. If they do not have a board but three sockets then look for a bad ground. Broken or loose grounds cause all kinds of headaches. Also corrosion will give you fits.

Mike

6. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Pull your socket assembly out and do continuity checks on it. Then disconnect plug on left frame rail were rear bumper bracket mounts, check continuity from there to plug at sockets. If trailer wiring connected with splice connectors, it's probably corroded there....Chuck