1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tim1075, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

Do any of you guys that plow with pick-ups that have no salter in them remove the tailgate while plowing?
  2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I hope that you won't take off your tailgate because you will need to put some ballast on your truck bed for better traction. Think about it, snowplowing would requires frequent stopping and backing up. So the stuff in your truck bed will be slidding around (unless you drive really slow and gentle) and it could fall out of the box. I'd like to have the tailgate down because it can give me more and better view of where I am going when backing up. But I need the tailgate because I need the ballast.
  3. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

As for the balast, Chevy has slots in the side of the bed for 2x10's right in front & behind the wheel humps, PERFECT for a row of sandbags. Take the tail gate off & yer all set...

I just installed some lights up under the truck on (next to) the hitch mount. Yeah thay dont shine back far. So now that you got me thinking I'm going to get a couple more & mount them to the 2x10's. You can never have to much light in back. or in front for that matter but not much one can do about that.
  4. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

We always remove the tailgates.....

And, put a bar between the sideboards so that they don't get wobbly over time.
  5. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I forgot that some trucks have slots on their bed. It can work that way, but I am not sure if you could use 2x10's. Sounds a bit too big to me IMO, because that's pretty high enough to stack second row of sandbag and that could push the boards out of its slot if weight get shifted hard. My father have Chevy S-10 and I made a couple of 2x4's for him. It works well for him. The slots on his truck bed does not seems to be deep enough for 2x10's. Maybe the slots is deeper in the bigger Chevy trucks?
  6. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Sounds like a good idea for vision reasons, but I hardly ever turn my head when backing up, Id be dizzy and car sick.
  7. Mac

Mac Member

I run without a tailgate.
    I find u can see everything better, and that mean everything.
  8. Manx

Manx Senior Member

I leave mine on
    I'm in good sized lots thou
    I think it helps keep the bed together
    And they seem to get dented standing up in the garage
  9. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Mine stays on because I have a cap on my truck. I would leave mine on anyway if I didn't have a cap though. A tailgate holds the bed together and is a crucial part of the bed structure. Over time the bed will become weak and loose if you leave the tailgate down or take it out while driving. If you really want more visibility I would but a steel screen gate that you can see through but that still has the structural integrity of a tailgate.
  10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

What about those who take their tailgate off to run a spreader?

I have run a spreader on my pickup for 5 years and have seen no weakness in the bedsides. Maybe after many years the bedsides weaken but this could be attributed to other factors.
  11. Defective

Defective Junior Member

My 75 came from the factory without a tailgate. (original owner picked it up at the gate & drove it to the camper dealership...) Except for the rust, my box is still rock solid. I finally got around to building a tailgate for it a couple of weeks ago & the corners were dead on to spec.

Please...nobody tell my truck she's 27 years old.
  12. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

lights in the bed

Got Grass, you mentioned adding lights on the 2 by's so that you'd have more light to the rear. I found that adding lights in the bed causes too much reflection and your eyes don't adjust for see past the bed into the darkness. I have a farm bumper on my Chevy and I mounted 55 watt lights on the inside body panel just below the bed surface. Lots of light since they are mounted higher.

My $0.02.

13. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

Our tailgates are off, but we've got a couple of the 'old-style' Buyers tailgate salters and the iron bar that goes across the top of the bed holds the sides nice and firm. We cut a couple of 4"x4"s to fit snug beween the sides of the box back near the bumper. They keep the salt bags from sliding out, and you can see right over them.
  14. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i would be caushes about leaving it off. what would happen if your shovel falls out and goes threw someones front window

Tail gate stays on. Don't want to strap down the snowblower and shovels each stop.
  16. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

wouldnt you want to strap down the snowblower at each stop so its not moving around while plowing/driving?

I have two tool boxes in back,so theres just enough room for the blower so it doesn't have to be strapped.
  18. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

got ya

Just briefly !