1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate when plowing: Up, down or off?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Dougman, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

Now that my plow is installed, I have turned to other fun things like lightbars, emergency chains and ballast. For ballast, I plan to use 60 pound tube sands... probably 10 or 12... and I've built a nice frame out of 2x8 pressure treated wood to hold the bags in position. With the ballast frame in place roughly over the wheels, the tailgate is not really needed. I have been thinking about the tailgate and how it severely limits my view to the rear. The rear view is much better when it's down, but the tailgate would be more easily damaged when backing. I'm sure the view is even better when the tailgate is removed completely, yet it's nice having that hefty tailgate weight there. I mean... What's the point of adding ballast if I'm just taking it away by removing the tailgate?

And so I ask the pros who do not use salter/sanders: When plowing, is your tailgate up, down or in sitting in your garage?

Dougman

2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

up................................

3. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

off.......

4. starc

starc Senior Member

Would kinda have to say that's personal preference, on or off is not going to make much difference either way. If you find it's in your way...remove it....

5. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

yeah i dont think down is an option why make the truck any longer

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Off and in the corner of the garage!

7. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Since kind of the subject,
    Who runs the highway with tailgate down? And did you know it's actually costing you more fuel then saving?

8. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I take it you saw the mythbuster episode? It's also a good way to get alot of chips in your tailgate.

9. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I always left my tailgate on and up. I was just worried something would happen with my ratchet straps and my ballast would end up on the ground. I only run the gate down when I need to or to let leaves plow out the back SHHHHH... This is what happens when you go mudding with the gate down! I would never do that with my real truck. The chips were terrible.:dizzy:

1.JPG

10. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

Off. Last thing I want is putting a back blade through a garage door at 2 in the morning. Plus its alot easier to get a snowblower in and out too without one.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Always on. And up.

12. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

off when plowing, up when it needs to be on

13. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

educate me on this one please

14. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

DBL,
    Mythbusters did a test on the up versus down gas mileage myth. Running it in the down position causes more drag and uses more fuel. In the up position it creates an air bubble in the bed and has less drag. edit, they also tested no tailgate and i believe it was the same as tailgate in the down position? I don't know for sure about that end of the test though.

Here is the kicker. They also tested those "airflow" nets that claim to get better mileage than a tailgate up/down. It actually worked and was the most efficient out of all of them. The tests were @ 55mph with a 2WD v6 Dakota using a flow-meter to compare the fuel usage.

15. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

thanks i nevered really worried about putting the tailgate down when on the highway but its nice to know

16. i keep it off cause i have a gooseneck that i haul to

17. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

In Ontario, putting the tailgate down saves you money.........if you go on Highway 407 Toll road....With the tailgate down, the cameras can't see your plate...............Just dont get caught.............tymusic

18. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

Mine's off for plowing, but thats becouse I have a driver for my truck( I run the loader) and he's a short ass and he can see better with out it.:D

19. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Generally it's off for plowing, as that increases visability

20. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Personally i don't think the tailgate matters , i generally use my side mirrors when plowing.