1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tailgate vs.v box

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by clark lawn, Jan 20, 2007.

1. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

im considering either a tc-140/160 or a v box for in my one ton for next year.has anyone used the tc-140 i think it will be the better bet as i will be able to get more salt in the bed. any opionions either way would be helpful.
  2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

On our pick up trucks we use Pro flows and fill the bed with bulk salt. Just jump out and shovel it in (it only takes a min), you can take more salt then with a V box, and your up front cost is lower. Works great for us.
  3. clark lawn

from NE ohio

im talking about an under tailgate system as ive signed a few big lots and need a better and cheaper way to salt im using about 2 tons of bagged a night and it is starting to get real old.the one im looking at is made by truckcraft (plowsite sponser) .
  4. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

Do you have cental hydraulics on your truck? If not, I think it would be expensive to upgrade. Therefore, I would suggest the V-Box.

I would like to have the under the tail gate because you could still use your dump without have to remove the spreader. I've never had one but I would guess that you would have to ride around with the bed up to get the salt out.
  5. zman9119

zman9119 Member

Both of the TruckCraft tail-gate replacements are all electric, so no hydraulics are needed.

I would rather have the tail-gate spreader because...
    1. You can carry more.
    2. You can still use your dump.
    3. No stupid gas engines to mess with at 3am that don't start when its 0 out.
    4. Less of a PITA to install \ remove
    5. You can see better.

Yes you would have to raise your bed to get more salt but only to move it to the end of the bed. You are (most-likely) not doing roadways, where you can use it (salt) quick, so raise when needed and you don't have to drive with it up.

I wish that we would switch to these at work for easy of use.

6. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

Sorry, I didn't do a search of the TC's and didn't know they were electric. I never heard of such a thing. Seems like a great idea.

I, too, agree with the choice of an under the tailgate vs. a box spreader for exactly the same reasons that you stated. I can be a real pain sometimes. One thing you didn't list, and is my biggest pet peave about my v-box, is that you can still tow as there are no obstructing chutes in front of your hitch.:mad:
  7. clark lawn

from NE ohio

has anyone used the truck craft spreaders im looking for some feedback on them before i start pricing them out.

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

I had several Vbox spreaders in 1 ton dumps over the last several years, PITA! limited to appx 2 cuyds , very high center of gravity, and all the BS with starting a gas pony motor,, This year I installed a Truckcraft TC 160 on my 2004 F350. I can Carry 2x the salt, and still see over the back of the truck.

Truck Craft +
    just about 100% SS and alum.
    super EZ to clean out
    I can Ill carry firewood/ stone with spreader installed
    in-cab controls veri speed for both auger and spinner
    I installed it my self. EZ to do. total install 4 hrs.

now the -
    the TC160 the first production run in late fall 06 was only 25 units,
    I hane to have a brace up grade install done, ( not a big deal, but the sides of the firas units made were made of alum. and had to be beefed up.

up grade #2 had to install a Diode again no big deal

up grade #3 I have to return for exchange the incabe control box, ( this one is going to be a PITA!

Truck craft had several problems when they first made the TC130 & TC140s I was hoping that the TC160 would of avoided the first production run problems,

Adding every thing up. I LOVE IT!!! Vbox, never again! If your looking for a TC160, I would wait until early next season to order one and make sure the serial ## is higher than 45
  9. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

i saw that in one of yours and bnc pics and ive never seen that before we run bagged in our tailgates and its really clean is the bulk a pain to get the rest out and clean at the end of the storm
  10. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I have a tailgate spreader on my dump truck, it's awsome.

Not sure how it compares with the tailgate inserts, but I prefer them over vboxes everytime.

I can still dump fine with my dump box and salter. It's easy and quick to remove salt. I can still throw a snowblower, etc... in the box. And I can hold 6 tonnes no problems.
  11. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Tailgates are awsome, But I've heard alot of bad stuff about those truckcraps. Get a DownEaster. I bought this here dump insert and tailgate spreader off of a plowsite member this fall and it is awsome. Spreads about 20' I'd say. Only thing is your always lifting the body, every min. you have to put it up higher or you can just put it all the way up but she is pretty tippsy up there (4000 lbs. 15 feet in the air). It'a all electric and the spreader and paddles don't even draw that much energy. It's just the lift cylender that drops the voltmeter all the way down. Defentilly recommend it, I'll be getting another one in a season or two but I'm going wait a actual dumpbody not an insert. BTW someone on plowsite has a downeaster spreader out for $900 I think.

Picture 162ps.jpg
  12. Ultimate inc

Ultimate inc Junior Member

wow thats alot of weight on that little half ton.I am in the same boat as claklawn right now and the only thing i was seeing wrong with the tailgate spreader is if you still got a truck load of salt when your nights over are you able to dump it out? or do you have to shovel it all out? and is it bad on your truck bed threw the winter?? any input on vbox verse tailgate would help thanks guys!
  13. MStine315

MStine315 Senior Member

I bought a used F-250 this summer with an EZ Dumper insert and a downeaster tailgate unit. I wasn't sure I liked it at first, but after some TLC, asking advise from other members who have them, and some getting used to it, I love it! I can fill 2 yds. (4,400 lbs +/-) at a time. I try to run it all out or it'll freeze and get clumpy, but even then you can bust it up with a gravel shovel and the beater bar will chew it up vs. having to shovel out a v-box. I'd look hard at Metro Lawns...for $900 you can't go wrong! Switching from bagged to bulk'll pay for it in a couple storms. I lift the bed a little at a time and "goose" the throttle to shift the salt to the auger. I keep lifting it until I can see the salt coming out through the back window of the truck, under the box. I painted the floor of the dump box with slip plate and the salt runs out pretty good. I don't raise the box all the way up until the last couple hundred pounds. Just asking for an accident otherwise. Marc
  14. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I guess since you said you end up lifting it alot, it's not like an underneath tailgate spreader where there sort of is a box that salt ends up in, like a hopper. letting you put the body down and salt, for a little, of course you would have to lift again, But I guess the down easter it's a replacement tailgate? so basically keep it up so salt is against the tailgate end all the time?
  15. MStine315

MStine315 Senior Member

Yeah, you have to run with the bed up a LITTLE bit so salt runs up against the auger, as the auger is flush with the bed, not dropped down below the bed, like a "real" dump truck hydraulic spreader.
  16. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

How is the spreader holding up for you? What sort of problems have you had with it?
  17. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

I have been using V-Boxes for years. This year I bought my first truck with an under the tailgate spreader on the dump. Its hydraulic driven, and I absolutely love it. V-boxes work great, but the tailgate is like the Cadillac! I have a friend with an electric tailgate spreader and he swears by it too. Either way, sure beats the hell out of any hitch mounted spreader!
  18. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I run a Snowex 2400 elec. tailgate replacement spreader, on a 1 ton dump. Works awsome. There is another thread here discussing them...but fwiw, I have a hand full of lots I do that If I shift the load back before leaving the previous lot, I wont have to raise the bed to get them salted.