1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by My bowtie, Aug 17, 2008.

1. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Looking to get a tailgate spreader...Just doing residentials for now...Need one that will spread sand salt mix. Thinking about a Western pro flo 2. Any others that I should look into??ussmileyflag

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

night want to try the search button, this has been argued many times :dizzy:

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Great choice. I have a Western 1000 and as long as the sand is dry it will spread it great. I use a mix of 1 50lb bag of salt and 2 50lb sand bags. I also charge 3 times what it costs me to spread it. Bagged salt is gonna be real spendy this winter.

4. elite1msmith

from chicago

if your looking into a western 1000 .. a similar spread is a meyer blaster , i know alot of ppl dont like meyer units . but this is made by a different company, has a larger motor, Vib, and will spread wet bulk , as long as it doesnt freeze in the hopper

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I've heard the Western Pro Flow 2 is the best tailgate salter, ever made. CET told me that, I think he's had or has quite a few of them.

6. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

I did a search....I didnt find what I was looking for..although I didnt read through all the posts...Id still be reading..lol..ussmileyflag

7. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I am also looking for a tailgate spreader, Im leaning towards the western brand. How well does the 1000 or 2000 work spreading sand since it says there not made for it. Also can you get the pro flo 2 with the swing gate, Because I need to get blowers out of the back.

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

i would honestly say , before you consider purchasing a spreader.. look to see if you can get salt at a price your willing to pay. i dont know your area, but its getting tight here.

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a Pro Flo 2. It works very well. I only spread bulk salt. They do not make a swing gate model. I have the underbed mount. You might be able to get it off by yourself but I don't think you can get it on without making some kind of cart.

Air Flo also makes a really good model but it will not hold as much salt. You can mount the Air Flo on the rear of the box which will keep the truck shorter.

10. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

Salt in my area is $ 4.29 for a 50lbs of rock salt & $14.95 for 50lbs calcium chloride. Do you think you could run bagged sand through a western 1000 or 2000 if needed?