1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by meathead1134, Dec 12, 2005.

1. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

Ok guys I did a search and didn't find much info. I have a 1998 GMC 2500, Tailgate spreaders, who makes a good one and approximately how much do they cost. Are buyers any good?? or how about snow ex? I know nothing about these things so please have some patience with me. I searched and found out that some people don't like the boss ones but I'm open. I know fisher makes one because I saw it at the dealer but I can't remeber the price. Can you guys help me out

2. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

tailgate

I have a Fisher Speedcaster 2. Works with salt, and sand..even wet.
    Works well, if you do not mind refilling the hopper. I am at the point I need a larger one, just have not had the time to really sell this yet. I usually go through about 5 tons of mix per storm, and usually 2 tons each morning, when recoating.nice unit, and easy to install though.Think they are $2200 new..picked up.

3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I have both the Snow Ex and the Meyer spreader with the motor exposed underneath. I am very happy with the Snow Ex and will replace all the Meyer's with them. The exposed motors seam to have a very short life due to moisture and salt getting inside.

4. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

What's the replacement cost for a new motor for the Snow Ex?? and is it easily changable???

5. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i run western 1000 with swing away.works great and with the swing away you can still use the back of the truck.

john

6. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

Ive always used Meyer / Buyers' but I hear the westerns are good.

I buy mine used, usually about a 100-150 bucks, spend antoerh 75-120 to either rebuid or replace motor. Usually end up with a new motor, and a good spreader for under 300 bucks.

Definately go with a swing gate. I made mine for about 50 bucks and two hours. I made a hitch mount for one, which isnt bad, but a swing gate is definately the easiest and most flexible. You'll be glad you went with it when you need to load a pallet into the bed.

7. FianoLawn

FianoLawn Junior Member

I just purchased a new boss spreader. It's worked great! I heard about some problems with them but I think it's just with the larger one, because you have to change out your hitch. So I went with the smaller one. No problems yet.

8. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I had the SnoWay 10.25 cu.ft. swing away model with opta-flow. Fully electric unit that was absoultly great. paid $1250 new, another $150 for the opta-flow controller.

9. capital

capital Senior Member

New Boss tail gate spreaders

We run two of the boss tail gate spreaders and to be honest the 1st one had some minor glitches being new to production while the 2nd one has experienced no real issues. The big thing we like is their ease of installing. IE everything is automated. I would recommend you get the vibrator though since the salt can have a tendency to gut stuck while your plowing. Hit the vibrator and your off and spreading salt again.

10. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

you run 5 ton of material per storm through a tailgate spreader??????

11. amarino

amarino Junior Member

I just bought a used fisher speedcaster 2 and it is awesome. 2 minor complaints is that it does not hold enough (not the products fault) and it spreads more to the drivers side, and hardly nothing to the passenger side.
    Paid 1500 for it and spent another 200 in wiring, and misc parts.