1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate spreaders?????

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Dbpropert, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Dbpropert

Dbpropert Junior Member
    from 37814

What's the better spreader? Snowex 575 or Salt Dogg tgs06?

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Our Salt Dogg spreaders have been excellent. We have a tgs07 and only problem we have ever had with was the gearbox after the driver backed into another truck. :realmad:

3. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

575 is pretty basic, add a vibrator and you can run bulk. TGS is probably the same I just dont have experience

4. Dbpropert

Dbpropert Junior Member
    from 37814

The tgs06 has a 80lb vibrator. The snowex is basic and costs a lot more. I've just heard of guys saying the saltdogg has given them a bunch of trouble. This will be my first time owning a tailgate soreader and I want something reliable.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

How many lots are you salting? Bags or bulk....and where are you loading bulk if your going that route? What does the dealer carry? What truck is it going on?

6. Dbpropert

Dbpropert Junior Member
    from 37814

I have 20+ lots and driveways. I'll be using bags. It'll be going on a 99 f250 psd 4x4. The dealers are an hour away from where I live and they carry all the brands.

7. terrapro

from MI

That snowex has a half dozen copies, there is a reason for that. Probably the most popular tailgate spreader version. I have the curtis copy, added a vibrator and I can load it to the top with bulk and it spreads no problem. Wired directly to the battery with just an on off switch. TONS of bulk and bagged has been sent through that little spreader.

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Might want to look into the 1075. It can hold a lot of salt

9. terrapro

from MI

I have the 1075 swing away also for my combo bulk and liquid LCC truck, it holds just under half a ton of bulk. Controller has problems with clumps from bulk but all you need is a good screen and once in awhile go out and spin the spinner by hand.