1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate spreaders (Your experience?)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Makndust, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I'm looking into buying a tailgate spreader for the back of my blade pickup. What are your opinions on good or bad brands to buy. My closest dealers are probably 80 to 100 miles away so dealer availability probably doesn't matter that much to me. Any input would be appreciated.

2. DJC

DJC Senior Member

have you looked at the Buyers???? The county that i live in use them. We have one arriving tomorrow :waving:

3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Look for a snowex I really like the 1075 snowex that I have.

Mike

4. chris k

chris k Senior Member

I have been using the Fisher Speedcaster2 for a few seasons now and have had no problems with it. You can use either sand or salt.

5. pasto_guy

pasto_guy Member

I have three spreaders. Two are the Meyer Mate. Costs about 1175.00 and it is a low profile which will allow you to see better out of the rear glass. I have not had any problems with them after two years. The other spreader that I have is a Snow Ex. Can't really tell you much about it because we haven't used it yet. Lots of people say they like them. I would advise you to buy an extra motor to have on hand just in case something ever happens. I've not needed to replace any of mine but I have extras so that we are never stuck in the middle of a storm. Good Luck

6. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I am very happy with the Snow Ex spreaders. Have 1 Meyer/Buyers type spreader left and will replace it as soon as the motor dies again. High maintenance on motor to keep it running......

Snow Ex can be found for under 1000.00

7. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I use a western pro flo 1. You can use a sand/salt mix but it has to be very dry or it will clog.The pro flo 2 or 2 stage tailgate spreaders solve that problem.Loading bags gets old after a while too but if you dont have big sanding accounts its not bad.