1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate spreaders v.s. Hopper spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Big Dog D, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I noticed that a lot of you from the midwest area use tailgate type spreaders. What do you find to be the advantage over a slide in type hopper spreader. Here in N.E. we very rarely see those and I am curious as to why?
  2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

For most it is a storage and loader issue.
    pallets of baged product are easy to store and load. hard on the back but no equipment required.
    Bulk means you need a storage or containment area. A loader of some sort to load with. A few work off of local suppliers but that is risky business if they are closed your in deep do do. Plus leaving unused product in a v box is asking for trouble.
  3. Big Dog D

Sorry I didn't mean one of those small tailgate spreaders, I meant one of those uder tailgate ones with the augers etc......
  4. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

do you mean undertailgate? the little ones a lot of people use on small stuff but the product is to costlly to use on big jobs
  5. Big Dog D

I mean one of these types.

sander pic.jpg
  6. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

we have both in our fleet. The biggest advantage of the under tailgate spreader is you can go from salting to dumping in seconds and they weigh considerably less and are more stable on uneven ground.My truck has the vee box and personally I like it better as I dont have to raise the bed for more material.But it has less capacity than the pete 4 wheelerthat we also have which means I have to reload more often.
  7. Big Dog D

To me they seem like they are at a disadvantage because they are so low that they wold be constantly being backed into snowbanks and the idea of having to operate with the dumpbody up in the air is a concern as well with the hills we have.

We use torwel 2-3 yd sanders and take the chute extensions off to keep it as high as possible which benefits us in two ways. One we back into less and two with it being higher we cover more area and cover it more uniformly(better spread pattern). With the engine speed maxed we can cover a swath that is 35 feet +/- wide from the back of a F-550. We can take a truck from sand mode to dump mode in about 15 minutes.

I am just curious as we don't see may of the around here, and thought maybe I was missing something.
  8. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i think the great part about under tailgate sanders is the lack of parts and there very simple. they will still spread 30' you have a variable speed controller one for auger speed and one for spinner speed. my flink undertailgat spreader has 4 wearable parts two hydro motors one for auger and one for spinner one bearing and a poly spinner thats it. this summer i rebuilt it it cost me about 500 bucks for everything the two motors were rebuilt the spinner replaced and the only bearing replaced i also replaced the hoses and couplers and had it sand blasted and repainted.
  9. mr.plow

mr.plow Member
    from Toronto

Don't forget with a undertailgate salter if you have to get rid of the salt or unlaod faster, it has the ability to unlaod the salt really fast. Get some speed going put it in neutral and rev the engine. used to do it all the time. Good for big commercial lots. ;)