1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate Spreaders, recommendations

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by smokinspartan, Nov 4, 2007.

1. smokinspartan

smokinspartan Junior Member

Hi everyone, i was looking for some help on choosing a tailgate spreader. Ive never had one before, and never used one. I only plow my 3 commerical properties that i own, nothing intense. The parking lots are small, they hold like 20-30 cars each lot. The past couple years ive been salting with one of those walk behind salters. Its been alot of work with those. So i figure ill get a small tailgate spreader. Which one do you recommend? and what prices are you paying for brand new. I currently have a Boss V-plow, so i first checked on the Boss TGS 600, prices were as follows, lemme know if this sounds right.

$1168 for the spreader
    $415 for the Slide In attachment #TGS10950 (that sounded expensive)
    $400 for a "special trailer hitch" to accept the Boss spreader (again sounded expensive)
    $180 Install

I called on prices for the Western Lowprofile Model 1000, they told me.
    $1475 for spreader
    $250 for hitch
    install included.

the only other spreader i found in my area was a Sno-Way. Basically leaning to a boss or western. What do you guys recommend? Ive looked online, and saw that the Boss looks like it attaches very easy to the hitch, but thats with the RT3 attachment, which has like wheels so you can wheel the spreader to the truck, step on a lever, and it raises it to the hitch so you do not have to lift and break your back. Well the slide in attachment that they priced for me, ($400) looks like you have to lift it up yourself to the hitch, is this correct? I havent seen the westerns in person and not sure at all how they attach. Basically i would like something that attaches easy on easy off, that 1 person can do, but at the same time cost effective, and easy storage. Is there really a special hitch for the boss? 400 for a hitch sounds stiff, especially when the western people are like 250. If it matters, i have a 2004 chevy 2500HD. so i guess i need some input on what you guys are paying for these set ups, and which one yalll like. thanks

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  2. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

Spreader

I Hav A Buyers Spreader It Goes In The Hitch On The Truck, U Should Also Get The Shaker Kit To

3. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

We have owned a western 1000 it was great we used it untill there was nothing left( all of the frame was gone) It made alot of money! We now have a snowex 1075 on my bothers truck and it is good no problems. I have a buyers (tgsuv pro )on my truck it is small and has a folding feature making it easy to get stuff out of the back of your truck. It still used the hitch to mount. It will spread salt as good as the snow ex ,just has a smaller hopper. It would work great for what you have descibed and it is only $600 . It is very simple to hook up yourself. I got mine at J thomas I beleive there web site is ( J-thomas.com). If your only doing a few small lot there is no reason to spend alot on a larger spreader. Just another idea GOOD LUCK!!!

4. smokinspartan

i found this one:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200136324_200136324

hows does yours hook up electrically? just with the pre wired tailgate harness that comes with a trailing hitch (like for the brake lights for a trailer)..... or does it hook up seperately?

5. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

That is the spreader that I run it is $ 543.65 from j thomas. It hooks up with a premade harness that goes from your battery into the cab for the controller and then to the back of your truck. You only have to run one wire to the back of your truck and the hook up a ground. It is a really easy install and it comes with good directions.

http://j-thomas.com/Catalog/335.htm

6. smokinspartan

cool thanks for the info man!