1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tailgate spreaders. help

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mtnzone, Apr 13, 2008.

1. mtnzone

mtnzone Member

looking for a tailgater spreader for residential and two small apartment complexes. needs to be a swingout.

also what spreader out there will spread sand??

the complexes dont want salt..

looking for companies that stand by their product, decent price..

So what am I looking at?? and price range??

thanks for help.........
  2. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

Most manufacturers say that their tailgate spreaders will not run sand, however I have a Sno Way 9 cu ft w/a vibe that has gone through well over 50 tons of really wet sand/salt mix this winter without a problem. It will spread Tube Sand, however it does not do it well, you go through 2-3 times the amount you would put down by hand, and if you do not empty the hopper at the end of the drive/lot, it will cake up and take you forever to clear it.

No matter what spreader you go with, make sure that it has a vibrator, as it is 100% necessary.

Why do you need to get a swing-out one? I have never used a swing-out spreader, but from what I've been told, you can not swing them when they are fully loaded, as they will rip off from the truck.

I love my Sno Way. It has been a great spreader, and has gone through 110+ tons of salt, Clear Lane, and salt/sand mix this season without a problem. It is a PITA (and back) getting out of the truck to refill it all the time, but it was so much less expensive than a V box, AND I can easily remove it by myself.
  3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

magnum, otherwise know as a meyer