1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tailgate spreaders for calcium

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Frank, Jan 25, 2001.

1. Frank

Frank Member

hey guys, i would like to know whitch tailgate or hitch spreaders are good for calcium chloride. i have been using a earthway spreader for my salting and im getting tierd. anyway i tried to buy one a few years back and the dealer told me that they are not good for calcium, because it dumps too much product, is this true?

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Not to sure about the earthway,as I have never used them,but a lot of tailgate unit's have too high a feed rate for calcium chloride,so your dealer may be right.We have a western pro-flo,single stage,which has two adjustable feed gates,which you can close up quite small for calcium chloride.It works well,and it's one of the few tailgate units that you can leave material in the hopper and still have it there at the next site.It also has a much steeper hopper angle so the material doesn't stick (which calcium chloride is bad for in wet conditions).I think fisher also carries the exact same model (speedcaster),except it's yellow.

3. jrblawncare

jrblawncare Senior Member

I was going to add this to the TrynEx thread below,but I thought is was getting old....TryneEx does make a Gate Assembly that will adapt to most hopper-type spreaders with a 3" throats,its used for granular and pelletized materials.It calibrates and controls the flow rate as well as conserves material.Has anyone used it or tried it?Thanks JRB

4. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Just bought a fisher speedcaster 2 this year and absolutely love it. It has a conveyer belt to carry the salt/sand/calcium mix to the spinner which has an adjustable speed on/off switch in the cab. There is also an adjustable gate to limit the volume of material that can make it through the gate and wings around the spinner to limit spread with. Have run potassium chloride through it due to heavy ice and it worked fine but usually just use rock salt due to cost.

Bought the speedcaster two to leave me the option if I ever have to use bulk salt or sand salt mix as I remember the salt shortage of 94 when bagged salt was not available. Extra money spent up front will pay for itself should that kind of shortage occur again.

CMerLand

5. Frank

Frank Member

cmerland... from what i read you use bagged salt with the fisher speader. now i could never buy bulk because im in a city and theres no room for storage, so i buy bagged salt. does it use a lot of product?

thanks,
    frank

6. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Frank,

Yes I have only used bagged salt so far in the fisher spreader. I have a supply yard 5 minutes away that I can buy bulk or bagged, but they are only open their hours, have everyone and there mother in during storms and I have no place to store or load bulk salt myself.

I went through a major debate on using bulk salt, sand/salt mix or bagged salt. There is deffinately some savings of as the bagged salt is twice the cost but have used it as to the convienence of storage and handling.

Devised a way of keeping the bulk salt dry in my mason dump using fiberglass tent poles and a poly tarp, but still figured I would have clumping problems with the salt. Also factored in the corrosion of the salt on the dump body between storms when it would just be sitting there chewing it up. At the end of the season, would have had to ask the yard if I could dump whatever salt was left back to there pile which may not be allowed. So for me right now bagged is the way to go.

As far as material usage, it can only use what you put in it but we are typically using 400-500 lbs for your avg bank parking lot with a drivethrus. Probably more then we used in the past as now we salt the whole property rather then just the turn and walking areas but as I mentioned sure beats doing it by hand. Besides using the salt is paying the cost of the unit sooooo spread away.

CMerLand

7. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Sorry Dig! ;)
    CMERLAND,
    If you jump on the Magic bandwagon, you could keep bulk in your mason dump (under your tarp contraption) and it won't clump & its 95% less corrosive than regular rock salt. Costs more but you use less, & you're not rotting the truck away.

Frank,
    It uses as much salt as you need. Very easy to control usage & spread patterns. I use bagged material during the overnights & when my local supply yards are open I use bulk from them.

8. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

BRL,

Can only use what they stock. If they had magic and it did everything they say it will I'd consider it. At three times the cost, plus longer loading time it would have to be veryyyyy impressive stuff. Looks like we have another contest shaping up here. Who can fill their salters faster to go along with our spreading competition. Set another sprinkler out. Damn, I hope your wife gets that raise soon soo I dont feel so bad about taking all this money. LOL

PS: Looks like I'll probably be coming up on Feb 1st for that trade show. Well have to get together on meeting up.

9. Frank

Frank Member

thank you for the replys. its good to see people taking there time for others.

10. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Frank,
    Glad to help, that's the whole point to this site.

CMERLAND,
    I don't understand your comment, you're not even bringing a spreader to the contest. I've loaded over 400 50# bags so far this year so I'm pretty sure I'll make good time on the stop watch. I've been searching in my garage for some sprinklers I know are in there, & as soon as I can find where the hoses are buried in snow, I'll thaw them out & get everything set up. And I've made so much money on snow removal this year I'll be able to cover the bet if I should happen to fall down & break my ankle, & therefore & only under such circumstances, lose. ;)

11. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

BRL,

Oh I misunderstood your post regarding using the bulk salt. Now since you have the experience, which is faster, dumping 50# bags or loading the speedcaster by the shovel load ??

I've got to see the opening on this spyker spreader of yours because there is no way its as big as a 12 inch opening in my bucket. So my 50 lbs will empty a whole lot faster then yours. Like I said its all in the technique and amatuers need not apply.

Besides your going to be soooo tired from having to get up every morning to check on properties at 3 in the morning that your not getting paid for, that I'll win walking away!!! LOL

See ya next week at the show.

CMerLand