1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tailgate spreaders and snowblowers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lumps, Sep 15, 2005.

1. lumps

lumps Senior Member

i'm curious, for doing only residential work, is it worthwhile to use a tailgate spreader or just use a push spreader? obviously, the gate spreader would be nice, and faster, but is it worth the money? also, you can't do sidewalks with a gate spreader.

another thing, what do you do if you're running a gate spreader and also want to bring a snowblower to do sidewalks? thanks!

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

if i was only doing residential id opt for a push spreader
    i have a tail gate spreader and us small toro blower that we get out from the side. pita plus you have to be carefull not to scratch the paint

Last edited: Dec 25, 2005
  3. pasto_guy

pasto_guy Member

I'd have to agree. It is a real pain when you have a tailgate spreader and a large snow blower. Especially under the conditions. For just residential properties I would just go with a good broadcast spreader for the driveways and a 5 gal bucket or drop spreader for the walks.

4. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Hey guy's, you're doing it all wrong! We custom fabricated a few "special" tailgates out of 1/4" x 2" hitch receiver steel, the spreader is on one side and a fold out ramp is on the other. Simply fold down the ramp and the blower is ready to work!

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

It would sure be nice to see that set up. Any pictures?

6. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

I only do residential and only use Snowblowers out of the back of the truck, big ones! lol, but i dont do any spreading so i dont have to worry about that.... yet.

7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Pictures would be really nice to see, great idea. If you have some pics please post.
    Todd

8. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

9. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

like the idea of the step . still a ***** on the back.
    with my luck id forget the step and drive over it

JOHN

10. Grn Mtn

This was a fear for me too but as long as I always put the step on the drivers side its kinda hard to miss. As far as your back goes, this is why I chose the lighter model 2250 toro. Oh what I forgot to mention is I built an in-bed box that has a raised platform that puts the snowblower almost even with the sides of the truck. This makes it real easy since you don't have to lower the blower into the truck.

11. Grn Mtn

Lets see some picts T-Man

Your fabricated tailgate sounds interesting, but you must have a skinny tall spreader, my low-profile Fisher takes up almost all the tailgate opening as it is. But I would like to see a picture if you could. Please and Thank You.