1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Hscaper101, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Hscaper101

Hscaper101 Junior Member
    from NJ

Hello everyone I've been an avid reader on this forum and have just joined today!

I'm new to the commercial snow removal business and have picked up my first commercial account. Storage facility with three buildings of garages.

This will be my only account for this season, and I will need a salt/sand spreader for my truck (2003 F-250). I will not need anything crazy as it will only be used for this one account. I would like something easy to install on my own and without a helping hand. I will need to remove the spreader in order to attach my trailer. I would like to connect via my trailer hitch and not the tailgate.

If you can please suggest a few options I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Welcome to PS.
    The only tailgate salter's I have used are the 2 stage ones. They have a conveyor belt on the bottom to take the material to the spinner. This would be your best choice for sand/salt. The problem you are going to have is mounting it by yourself. You would have to make up a dolly or use an engine hoist or something alone those lines. The drop spreaders are lighter but I'm not sure how well they will spread sand/salt. If you put a vibrator on it and wait until you are going to spread to use it you might be OK. The drop spreader is also significantly cheaper. A 2 stage spreader would be close to $2500.

3. Hscaper101

Hscaper101 Junior Member
    from NJ

I'm realizing that the sand/salt spreaders will require more than one person to attach. The lighter spreaders will only use bagged salt, typically what does one bag of salt cover?

I don't mind using the bagged salt because it would just be for one account, however I don't want my cost to sky rocket.

4. Deco

Deco Senior Member

you can get a small bag thrower for under $1000. (dry salt only)

5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i had a thread a while back looking for the same thing, the saltdoog came highly recommended, i well bump the thread so you can see it for yourself

6. Hscaper101

Hscaper101 Junior Member
    from NJ

Thank you.

7. GSShelper

GSShelper Member

i have a Snowex minipro 575 very nice spreader and easily applied and removed from truck via the 2" hitch reciever.i think they run $1300-$1500 range.
    http://www.kaffenbarger.com/index.php?productID=713 this link will tell ya about it, but shop around to find a good price,, mayeb look to get a good used one a bit cheaper, it does hold approx 400# of salt and from the lot u described, that should be more that enough. look thru my profile and the pics youll see it on back of my truck.

8. Hscaper101

Hscaper101 Junior Member
    from NJ

Thanks for the info. Do you guys have any experience with the Sno-Way SW6 spreader?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009