1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate Spreader

Discussion in 'DownEaster' started by slc12345, Dec 10, 2008.

1. slc12345

slc12345 Member
    from CT

Just wanted to write a quick note. We purchased a Downeaster Replacement Tailgate spreader for one of our one ton dumps, It was installed last week and we had a chance to run about 10 tons of bulk salt through it so far. So far we are very impressed with the unit, it spreads very wide pattern, is easy to dump out remaining material in bed and seems really low maintenance. We went with this unit because it seems every year it is mad rush at the start and end of the season to change trucks over from Fall to winter mode, this way we can put the tailgate unit on Nov. 1st and still have the truck going out every day pulling trailers and use the bed for tools and materials. The only thing I see that should be changed is that the unit came stock with just an on/off switch, there is no way we can use it at full speed during the day at retail stores, so we had to order the variable speed controller, I think they should just make it standard even if it raises the price slightly. Just wanted to let Down Easter know that they make a great product we now own 1-6yd, 1-3yd, 1-1 1.8yd and now a tailgate unit, all great sanders.
  2. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

is that a eletric or hyd tailgate salter? I just called them today on pricing for a eletric and a 2.1 v-box, but its 2.5 weeks lead time before there built? dont like the eletric tailgate salter beacuse the spinner is too high up, plus there is no auger speed control, just spinner and a chute you can open and close for the amount of salt dispensed? Need a spreader this week so i gotta pass and find another...