1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate spreader...

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Up North, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Thinking about getting a tailgate spreader. Any advice on what to stay away from or which type/brand to look into? Don't need anything large, something easy to handle for one guy. Thanks.

Buck

2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I personally like the Boss one, it comes on and off the truck itself. It does have quirks though. The wiring harness could use better connectors or a better way to protect from corrosion. Also, if you drive around for awhile, you have to get out and manually turn the disk to get it going.

Mine's rewired and I just deal with the disk issue - the ease of getting it on/off far outweighs anything else.

3. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Well, are you going to be running bagged or bulk salt? I run all bagged salt and I use a buyers spreader. I bought mine from Northern Tool 4 years ago and it hasn't let me down yet. I think I paid around $800 and it holds 700lbs. It all depends on what kind of material you are running too.

4. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

We have Snow Ex 575s. Great speaders, great price, but hold much salt at all. They are good for just starting out doing small stuff but it gets old getting out every 3 minutes to fill the thing is blowing snow. Plus the only cost about $1100 depending on where you are and simple to install too.

5. MStine315

MStine315 Senior Member

I, too, have a snowex 575 and am very happy with it after 1 season. I can get it on and off by myself (receiver mount). I did the wiring myself, which was simple. I like the fact the motor doesn't hang down underneath and it is protected unlike some brands. Marc

Last edited: Nov 19, 2006
  6. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

Snowex 575 here.....bought it used for $600..... Easy install and works well. It is the right size for the properties I salt.... I built a furniture dolly up for easy on and off on wheels......
    D