1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by StagRd, Sep 25, 2014.

1. StagRd

StagRd Junior Member

Live in Northwest Ct. Looking for recommendations for a tailgate sand/salt spreader. Live on a 2/10 mile private rd that needs sanding. Want to pick up sand at local town garage. (ok since not commercial- private use) I have a Nissan Titan Duel cab PU. Looked at many models on line and think maybe Meyer 750S or salt dog TGS07. Thoughts on these or others? Thanks:confused:
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Air-flo MSS
  3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I'd suggest you don't exceed the rating of your hitch/tongue weight and rating of your pickup.

All TGS have there pro's and con's, for what you're doing I'd search Craigslist for something used and not to beat up. Just make sure it has a vibrator.

Also I hope you don't plan to load the hopper of the TGS at the town garage then drive to your house to spread. If you do you'll find out the material has settled and you'll have bridging/feed issues. Depending on how cold it is, how much moisture is in the material you can end up with a solid chunk.