1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Philc, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Philc

Philc Junior Member

Just curious what everyone thinks is the best tailgate spreader. I have some smaller lots that I sub out now and would like to start doing them myself but I dont want to hassle with a box spreader. Thanks in advance.
  2. KYsnow

KYsnow Member

I've used them for 18 years and other than the constant loading can't complain about any tailgate brand. I like the low profile John Deere (lesco) model best. Regardless of brand get a low profile unit. You do a whole lot of backing up and it helps to see. Get the 600-700 lb capacity instead of the smaller tailgate units. The units that attach to the hitch have me worried they are going to fall off the truck with the way the rock and shake. Therefore I like the units that bolt on instead.

I think with the small units it may be easier to just use a push rotary spreader because you are only going to gain a couple hundred pounds over a 100 pound rotary.

Lesco, snowex, snow way all work very well
  3. KYsnow

KYsnow Member

AND move this over to the ice forum!
  4. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

Snowex 1075
  5. tjjn06

tjjn06 Member
    from Ohio

Snowex 1075 here too
  6. KYsnow

KYsnow Member

The snowex 1075 model is what I use also, and I'm very happy with it.
  7. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I really like both the Snowex 1075 and 575 that I run. Good quality spreaders. I added a Karrier controller and would advise adding a vibrator to them as well.

Also look at the Buyers SaltDoggs. I dont own one yet but I know there newer one, TGS07(I believe) is capable of spreading bulk salt and sand. From the quotes I've got there pretty competitive on price.
  8. Nutz4Plowing

Nutz4Plowing Member

I have a TGS07 and love it. Holds about 860lbs and very rarely ever had any problems. Run nothing but bulk through it and its like the day I bought it. Easy on and off and with smaller commercial lots it makes easy work. Highly reccommend it.
  9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Airflo MSS. It doesn't hold as much as some but it spreads anything.

Are you running bagged or bulk, big difference in which spreader to buy.
  10. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

I would have to agree with your statement 100%!! I could not of said it better. We too been using the TGS07 and this year we got them on all of our trucks!! This thing eats bulk salt for breakfast!! I love them and for the price? Why the hell not buy 2 of them! And it will still be cheaper then a snowfx or whatever their called!

Oh and it comes with the vibrator. No need to spend another 4 or 5 hundred dollars to buy it as an add on. :rolleyes:
  11. Philc

Philc Junior Member

How is the snow dogg ran? i read somewhere that you had to open the spill gate manually? Is it all operated from in the cab? That was my only concern about the unit. It is what I was looking at in the first place.
  12. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

Yes! You have to get out of the truck and open it. But by rights you should not be filling this thing up at your shop and then driving 10 miles and plowing for an hour before using the salt. Driving packs the bulk salt down and makes it that much harder to get out.

Every one of my lot's are different so I like to adjust the salt flow for each lot anyway. Plus your already out of the truck loading bags a salt into it so why not open the gate on the way back into the truck?