1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by TLLandS, Jan 24, 2012.

1. TLLandS

TLLandS Junior Member

I am new to this site, and am new in the salt spreading and ice management business. I have been involved with snow removal in various capacities for 12 years. I have usually been a subcontract plow for hire, or just strictly resi work.

I am looking into tailgate spreaders versus a full box spreader. I have been looking at the Boss site for the types they have. I have not been able to determine if these are permanent, or can they swing away from the tailgate somehow to be able to get the tailgate down to get out blowers and what not out of the back of my truck. Maybe i haven't looked in the right areas for ths info, any insight would be appreciated. My commercial work is limited to 2 medium sized accounts, so that is why I was thinking taigate versus box spreader for now. Am I better off to go box spreader vs. tailgate? thoughts appreciated!!
  2. Not familiar with BOSS spreaders but looking at thier website quickly I didn't notice any swing away mounting system. The only ones I am sure offer this as mounting option are SaltDogg and Western. They both offer a swing away mount for an EMPTY tailgate spreader, however I know the SaltDogg wintergate is pretty expensive as an option (over $200).
  3. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

I have been using a SnowEx 1075 for years with no problems, even added a vibrator to it so I can run bulk.

Having access to my bed is nice, I would hate to have a box in it all winter. right now my accounts are small too so I usually only use 1 ton each storm
  4. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

Have you tried coating your spreader with Fluid Film? It will definitely help cut down on corrosion.
  5. orinicklawncare

orinicklawncare Member

the boss you can take off in a few seconds look in youtube to there smart hitch spreaders
  6. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

What are you talking about? As far as I can tell no one talked about any corrosion.
  7. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I was wondering the same thing.