1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jchart06, Feb 5, 2011.

1. jchart06

jchart06 Junior Member

I have been in snow removal for years but never on the sand/salt spreading end of it! I purchased a buyer tailgate spreader for $100 with no motor and I am waiting for the motor via UPS. My question is why you cannot run sand through them (or can you)? The manufacture says #1 salt or similar material, but I don't see why sand wouldn't work in this unit. If you could help me out with your opinions and/or experiences. it would be greatly appreciated.

2. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

The majority of tailgates will only run bagged and dry material. Most sand is at the least damp as is bulk salt. Some of it depends on the spreader itself. The better ones have augers that will pull the material down and others just have a hole for the material to drop out of. Either way the issue is that the material will bridge the hole and nothing will come out if it is anything other than dry material.

3. jchart06

jchart06 Junior Member

i took a piece of pipe and made a thing that attaches to the spinner to go up into the spreader bout 10inches with long but narrow fingers on it, it looked like it had a spring on it that went up into the hopper but it rusted off, i figured that might be the reason for the no sand recomendation but wanted to see if anyone else had tried it and what their turnout was. cause for the $190 ill have in it im not afraid to try some modifications to make it do what im looking for.
    thanks for the input

4. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

Where did you get your motor from? Tje other day i was backing into a corner and one of my rear wheels went into a sunken portion of the lot and it ripped the motor clean off. I priced out a new one from northern and they wanted $280 plus it would take two weeks to get. Should have went with a snowex.

5. jchart06

jchart06 Junior Member

6. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

Cool thanks i'll have to take some measurements to see if it will work. I'm not sure what the model # is on mine but it's the suv pro.

7. jchart06

jchart06 Junior Member

if its 300lb or 330lb depending on the year its the tgs01a or the modelnumber that was before same thing though i can also tell you a cheeper way to build your own width control if you buy the motor i did

8. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

JC....thats a GREAT deal on that motor ($87.00 + free shipping) Ebay.....

At that price I would "make" it fit wesport

9. jchart06

jchart06 Junior Member

kipcom.... after i get a plow put on my truck this summer what deals you do for subcontracting trucks?