1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by icecold, Oct 27, 2010.

1. icecold

icecold Junior Member

Do they make a good tailgate spreader that spreads bulk salt?

2. SServices

SServices Senior Member

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

as long as it is dry material....most all of them will spread it

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

You could even buy something like a Fisher 1000 and put a 200 vibrator on it. We've used this combo and it works great. If you want an actual tailgate spreader that spreads bulk, Fisher, SnowEx, Buyers all make one. The Fisher's and SnowEx are pretty pricy at almost 3k and the Buyers is (I think) around 1800.00. If it were me I would seriously look at the Buyers (salt dogg) version.

5. mike12328

mike12328 Junior Member

Have any of you guys ever heard anything about the Western tailgate spreaders? Are they decent or garbage?

6. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

We Have run the western pro flows for some time they will run bulk salt if you jump up to the pro flow two that has a belt in the spreader that drops it down to the spinner that is made for sand and bulk if you put a vibrator on you will not have any problems. fisher and western are the same. We love ours.

7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

The only two spreaders that can do bulk salt effectively. Is a western pro flow 2 or a Meyer blaster(magnum). My personal choice is the Meyer

8. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

I run a 2 stage fisher and it does great. if you load it and them drive a lot before kicking it on, the material will pack and it has a hard time, but i think that is hereditary to all tailgates.

9. Mr.Freezzz

Mr.Freezzz Member
    from Utah

I have a guy that doesent want to go back to mexico in the winter so to keep him busy....

He stays in the back of the truck with a helmet and harness on. He has a shovel and a hand held fertilizer, which he throws salt with. Never gets clogged or needs repair. Way cheaper due to low ball hrly rates $2.00 per hour tax free.:sleeping:

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The Airflo MSS is one of the best.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I'm assuming this to be a joke..

12. Mr.Freezzz

Mr.Freezzz Member
    from Utah

I guarantee someone around here in Utah does this though LOL!