1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tailgate spreader wiring???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by terrapro, Oct 20, 2008.

1. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

can someone please give me alittle insight here? im having difficulty getting the wiring/switch/solenoid correct.

so you start with the battery side, run that to the solenoid.

on the solenoid you have four terminals one for the battery side and one for the spreader side. then you have one in from a switch and one for the ground. is this correct? it is just a solenoid from the autostore with one terminal with an S and the other has an I.

for the switch you have one running from a power source, in this case i ran it from the ignition in the fuse box. then one out to the solenoid.

then you have the power from the solenoid that runs to the spreader motor.

there are two wires on the spreader. one pos one neg and no ground. i thought you need a ground always for 12volt systems. the spreader wont work by just grounding the neg out. isnt it not safe to run the neg back to the battery?
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2008