1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate spreader which one Snowex Western Boss

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by cj7plowing, Jan 10, 2010.

1. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

I need to add another salt spreader to the mix I am stuck between these three

Snowex 575 , western 1000, Boss 600 what does everyone think. also I have the vibrating motors one some of my bigger salters, to keep the material flowing . Is it necessary to add a vibration motor to a smaller salter. The setup will be using bagged salt.
  2. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

anyone ? I know someone has an opinion good or bad
  3. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

i have a Western 1000. I run close to 1 ton of bagged salt through it per storm (one application per lot). Never needed a vibrator, only had it jam once (New Year's day, I think some of the bags got holes in them and got wet, so I had to kick the salter a good kick every once in a while, luckily it was the last lot). It'll have a chance of jamming if you load the spreader and then drive around. Get the screen with it, incase some of the bags have chunks, will prevent them from falling in.
  4. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

We have a 575. So far it has ran perfect. That being said we only put 2 skids of salt through it.
  5. mypolaris1

mypolaris1 Member

I run a Boss 1100. Went with that then the smaller boss cause the price isn't that much more. I put over a skid of material down every storm. Runs great, it's just the right height to the tailgate. Bag splitter works good. No complaints really. Price was right compared to a snowex
  6. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

I have the SnowEX 575 and love it. With that said, I think that either one of them will handle the job you need it to do. They are all top of the line brand names! Good luck.
  7. procut

procut Senior Member

Kind of what I was thinking, I can't imagine one of them having much of an advantage over the other.
  8. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

I use a Pro Flo 2, a bit bigger than what you're talking about but its a sweet unit that sends out bulk salt or sand very well. Solidly built and easy to mount/dismount.