1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate spreader vs push spreader

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CR128VT, Nov 1, 2012.

1. CR128VT

CR128VT Junior Member
    from Vermont

I have two small condo complexes that have signed up for seasonal service and will be the only two locations I am going to salt. My question is should I purchase a cheap buyers tailgate spreader or buy a broadcast spreader designed for salt application. I am a little short on money this year and didn't know if it is worth the extra money to get the cheap buyers tailgate unit as I haven't read very good reviews on it. I believe a 100lbs capacity broadcast spreader would handle the work load, but will take more time and I will spend more time out of the truck. Thank you for your help/advice

2. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

You might be better off looking for a good used spreader such as a Western1000 or similar. Nothing against the small Buyers but its miserable at 0 degrees loading salt all the time or when the spreader quits on you as the smallest units aren't made for commercial use and not as durable.

3. CR128VT

CR128VT Junior Member
    from Vermont

I am on Craigslist almost hourly and I haven't been able to find any kind of a deal on anything used. They either don't work or they want retail price for a beat up used piece of equipment. I am also getting worried cause its getting to kinda late in the year to not have all my equipment ready.

4. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

put a post on here of what you are needing. a lot of times the guys have stuff they will sell reasonable but don't post it in the sale section. When i started i used a walk behind spreader on my lots and it was miserable.

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I used a broadcast spreader last year at a location that was out of the way for the salt trucks plus we had to use treated salt. We only had the contract until Dec. 31 or I would have bought a tailgate spreader.

A broadcast spreader takes longer then you think. You have to go all the way back to the truck to reload. If the salt is wet it doesn't spread as well and you have to make sure to tie it in the truck because they are light.

6. CR128VT

CR128VT Junior Member
    from Vermont

This all good information, glad you two learned the hard way for me haha

7. nnusskern

nnusskern Member

I was also wondering about a tailgate spreader vs a walk behind. What would you recommend for using to salt a standard size driveway typically single or double wide by about 50ft long. Some i will be using rock salt others calcium.

8. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

for something that small i would put some in a bucket and throw it by hand, but if you have several of them in a row any small tailgate spreader would work but i would buy the best i could afford just keep an eye on your spread pattern so you don't salt their yards but i would still throw calcium by hand. This is only my opinion and i'm sure their are many people with great ideas and much more knowledge than i.

9. chevy2500meyer

chevy2500meyer Member

snowex has a very very small hitch mount spreader that plugs into the 7way trailer plug for power i have heard good things about them but i do believe they are a little pricey but if you are looking for to get by with for your first year. A word to the wise to the wise any salt spreader new and/or used the motors only last about season of use. Especially if they are not taken care of properly.If you are on craigslist dont be afraid to go a little bit out of your area (a state over or a longer dirve) Especially with the seaon closing in soon also try the internet their is a couple companies out there that refurbish plows and spreaders just finding one close is the problem.

10. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Yes, bucket by hand. Don't over do it, it doesn't take much.

11. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Just remember, a bucket by hand will use way more salt then a spreader. Its just they way it goes down. Can i ask what kind of ballpark price point you are looking for? Also, where are you located? I see tons of deals on internet

12. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I never really thought about it before, but I think I'll have to disagree with you on that. I've salted lots and lots of drives by hand, and I bet I use less than if I used my tailgate spreader. On a typical double wide-50ft long drive I'd use 20lbs of salt maybe. You can't hardly turn the spreader on and not use 25-30lbs. Would be an interesting experiment though, to compare both methods side by side. Spreader is definitely easier.