1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate Spreader Volume

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JUSTBE, Feb 27, 2005.

1. JUSTBE

JUSTBE Member

I currently have a Buyers SUV PRO spreader. It works but it just takes so long to "empty" the hopper. I have heard of people going between 7 and 14 mph. If I just let the idle take me around, I actually have to do the same area twice. (Or I hold down the brake to bring me to a crawl.) I am looking at upgrading to a salter that won't take me the same amount of time it takes me to plow the lot. (or close to it) :cry:

My truck is used for family also so I don't want a salter that is perm. mounted to the truck or has holes drilled into it. I don't mind using one of the post holes in the truck along with the trailer hitch. One again, I am interested in speeding up my salt process.

Any help or comments will be greatly appriciated.

2. motorider000

motorider000 Senior Member

I like the new snow-ex poly short bed spreader. It has not motors or chains so it would probably be easy to take in and out.

3. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

i got one of the suv pro's and the only time it runs slow is when it gets stoped up with clumps are you sure its spinning in the right direction looking down from the back it should run counter clock wise. I also run snow ex 575 they run out in 2 min with a full load. Also meyer's mini and mate so check the direction :waving:

4. motorider000

how many pounds does that spreader hold that empties in 2 minutes.

5. fernalddude

the snowex 575 holds about 400 lbs and it spits it out fast i run thru about 6 tons each time i salt that might be more if the storm calls for it ..

6. fernalddude

suv pro on one of my broncos

suv pro.jpg

7. fernalddude

the snow ex 575 on other broncos

snow ex.jpg

8. fernalddude

i got to many of the things LOL....

9. JUSTBE

JUSTBE Member

How long does your 300lbs in your Pro take to empty out? I can handle 2 minutes. for 400lbs.

10. motorider000

How many bronco's do you have? 6000lbs a storm? how many pallets of salt do you go through a year?

11. Triton Snow Systems

Triton Snow Systems Banned

salt

6 tons is over 12,000.00 lbs. of salt. I think you might need a bigger spreader.

12. fernalddude

salt amounts

hey guys got 4 of the b2's plus sub out 6 trucks. I work the small locations that larger trucks can't fit in and i store salt at all my locations but not just salt i have mag and cal also so i have got to be able to switch to other chemicals on the fly so just a large spreader wont work for me if its just got salt in it. I guess i run thru 50 to 70 skids easy a season might be more but i got a great relationship with my local dealer's i just leave them a blank check and have my drivers show up in a box truck to load up if i plan it right we dont have to use the storage bins but if i dont i have reserve supplies ready..

13. szippijr

szippijr Member
    from S.E Pa

The bronco with the snow ex on the right and the one with the buyers looks to be the same with the same plate numbers. Are u sure u have four of these and are not seeing double.

14. szippijr

szippijr Member
    from S.E Pa

It would be 12000 lbs a storm, a ton is 2000 lbs.

15. fernalddude

yes that is the same rig its the wifes but the others are all the same 1 is a 87 the other 3 are 89 that is the last year meyers ok a plow to be installed on them.Yes i do put down that much dry chemicals and i also have liqiud spray systems in each rig and my storage bins hold 3 skids each and some smaller ones hold 1 skid each

16. motorider000

YEAH i missed the tons part

17. JUSTBE

JUSTBE Member

Has anyone else measured how many minutes it takes to empty their tailgate spreaders? I timed my spreader and it was just over 5 minutes.

18. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

That's more like it on my Buyers SUV pro also.

19. Runner

Runner Senior Member

My tailgate is an old Western that holds just over a 400 lb. capacity (maybe 500 lb.). It empties an 80 lb. bag in about a minute. A 50 lb. bag goes in just under 40 seconds. I move at about 10 mph (just under) and it covers a 20 -25 ft. swath effectively. I hope this helps.