1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate Spreader recommendation...

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cleansweep007, Oct 26, 2008.

1. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

Greetings to All !

Got a question that needs an answer. I am in the market for a tailgate spreader. There are so many brands out there and I am not wanting to break the bank just buying one. Last year I was out there with a walk behind, or a truck bed of sand and a shovel and I am not interested in doing that again this year. Got a couple more commercial accounts this year that are requesting it. Purchasing a tailgate spreader this year and who know's maybe next year a full sized one. So if anyone can suggest a good spreader for me I would greatly appreciate it. Gotta get one soon the snow is coming !!!

Thanks !!!

Tim

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Well if you are looking to spread sand as well as salt then you would need the Western Pro Flo 2. I guess you are looking for a Western because you are posting in this Forum.

3. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

I have a snow ex 1875 and think it works great. But repair parts are damned expensive.

4. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

Found one of those western tailgate spreader for 2,200... Might be a bit high for me right now. All of my equipment is western so it made sense to me to post here. Might of been an error on my part though

5. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

If you don't mind dumping bag after bag of salt it is ok. I call it part of my winter workout. LOL
    I have a Western hitchmount 1000 tailgate spreader and have been using it for over 8 years. Jusst keep it clean and lubed I have had no problems .............yet.xysport

6. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I went with the western 2500 and this will be it's first season. 9.5 cubic feet( about 450#'s), low profile - heck can't even tell it's on the truck, it has gates to shut the flow off completely, The folks I've talked to who own the 1000 or 2000 think the unit can break up chunks well and be mixed with some dry sand.

With variable speed, installed you can get it for around 1,800.

7. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

any idea if the 2500 comes with the swing away kit? Nothing showed up online, and I haven't stopped by my dealer yet.

8. scottL

dunno. For most of the newer trucks that do not have a solid bumper you can not use the swing away as it requires a solid top of a bumper for a pivot point. I did not go with the swing away - I'll be hoping over the side :)

9. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

hmmm. Yea I want the swing away cuz I don't want to be lifting snow blowers over the side of the truck. Rain here again tomorrow, so I'm gonna stop at the dealer, and more than likely come how w/ something lol.

10. scottL

I'm not sure where on this site it is but, some guy actually crafted his own swing away arm. It was pretty cool because it was based on the hitch only mount and didn't attach to the bumper or require a bed rail attachment.

This is what I plann on doing when I get some time as well. It was very cool.