1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate spreader ramblings

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Greenman2ooo, Nov 21, 2000.

1. Greenman2ooo

Greenman2ooo Banned

I am having a Western 2000 spreader installed. I chose to get the variable speed control rather than the on/off type.

I got the swing away mount because we have lots of walks to do and will have a blower to load and unload. I'll be spreading only salt with it.

Any satisfied or dissatisfied owners of Western spreaders out there? Any input on the setup?

I read a lot of comments about other brands that kept me from buying them, even going against one dealer's advice. I haven't heard much one way or the other about the Western tailgate spreaders. I figure some of you must have them?
  2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I just bought a Western Pro Flo 2 a few months ago, and I FINALLY got to use it last night. It worked flawlessly. The bags of salt I dumped in had a few big chunks in them. The conveyer at the bottom kept things moving really well. I'm very happy with it...
  3. Greenman2ooo

Greenman2ooo Banned

two Stage spreader

Was there a particular reason behind a two stage? I thought those were mostly for salt and sand, but I'm really new to snow removal?

Mine is going to cost $1600 mounted. I guess yours is more from the prices I've seen. Glad to hear you were happy with it, though.
  4. Greenman2ooo

Greenman2ooo Banned

Salt usage, Time usage

Also, wondered if you use more or less salt than you estimated. Do you have to fill up after doing a couple of small lots, maybe once after a larger lot? Do you have any idea how many bags you spread--how many times you filled the hopper, and approximate size of lots you used it on?

Any observations along these lines would be helpful. Also, any general observations on how long it takes to spread a McDonald's size lot.
  5. SlimJim Z71

(This is Long...)

I got the two-stage for several reasons. My neighbor runs a seal-coating business, and does snow plowing during the winter. He's been using the Pro Flo 2 for a while, and he said he wouldn't use anything else. I trust his judgement.

Second of all, by having the conveyor at the bottom, it keeps the salt moving, therefore helps prevent clogs.

As far as salt usage, you're kind of going to have to wing it. Like I said, last night was my first run with it. I have the single speed controller, so I don't know how much you'll go through. It will vary with what speed you have it at.

The Pro Flo 2 has a gate after the conveyor that you can adjust to allow more or less salt to land on the spinner. I had it set in the middle last night, but I think I'm gonna open it up more before my next run. One of my accounts is the car dealership I work at. If you want to see how big it is, go to http://www.motorwerks.com and take a look at the picture that pops up. We've since added another parking lot on the back, as well as expanded the used car building (and parking lot) in downtown Barrington. To make a long story short, there is A LOT OF PAVEMENT to salt and plow. I made a light pass last night, because we only had 320-lbs of salt on hand, the rest is coming Friday. I went through those bags pretty quickly, just doing the main fairways.

6. SlimJim Z71

Oh... the guys that had plowed that lot in previous years said it takes a full pallet (2500-lbs.) to do the whole lot. Not sure if that helps or not.
  7. EPP200

EPP200 Junior Member

I have a Fisher 2000 swing-away. It is exactly what you have but yellow instead of red. I used it for the first time Sunday night/Monday morning (light dusting of snow here in Chicago, nothing to plow but slick enough to lay down some salt).

My 2000 worked perfect. I have read other threads and have received advice from other on the forum to look into a vibrator kit. Unlike the Pro Flow, the 2000 is a single stage spreader, thus doesn't have a belt or anything to help break up the salt. I pretty much loaded the the spreader with salt and started spreading right away soooo I don't think there was enough time for any of it to compact or for any moisture to build.

I do think a vibrator is a good idea. ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW WHO SELLS THEM ???? I read Alan's post reference Tryn-Ex and have had no luck finding them.

Greenman2000, hope what I said helped ........ ED
  8. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

At the absolute worst case, call Hertz First Choice in Williston, Vermont at 802-872-5300 and ask for Brian McConnell. Tell him you need the vibrator kit for a Snow-Ex single stage spreader. He's a bit of a pompous jerk, so you might be inclined to snap him up short. For waht it's worth you can tell him Alan Nadeau gave you his name. But he can get the kit and ship it to you. The thing works good, as I recall you have to supply your own switch but it comes with wiring and plug. I used a push on/push off switch, just punch it to start and punch again to stop. It makes a huge difference in how uniform a single stage unit will spread.
  9. jrblawncare

jrblawncare Senior Member

Greenman 2000,I as well have a western on order and hope to have within the week,I have gone with the 1000 w/variable speed control.I wanted the receiver hitch mount,but it only works with a western receiver so I went with the swing away too...thinking it will save back anyway loading bags of product.I too am looking for some starting point as far as settings.I will not have as many events as the rest of you,so I would like to be close the first time out.I did order the adjustable deflector and the top screen kit,I hope they are worth it?The vibrator kit is also available but I passed on it because I will be usings dry bagged material.The only part I did not like to hear was the price...you are getting the 2000 for what I'm paying for the 1000 installed w/above accessories.Keep us up to date on how your making out with it,anyone else too.THANKS John I also looked at Snow EX by Trynex model SP-575...I hope I made the right choose,I know I spent a few hundred more!!
  10. SlimJim Z71

The way the hopper is constructed on my spreader, I don't know if a vibrator would work well or not. I'll see, so far, I think if I keep my salt dry, I should be okay. Although, I can see how it would definately help on a single stage set-up.
  11. mountain

mountain PlowSite.com Veteran

I just got my buyers low profile spreader mounted today so didn't get to try it yet HOPE it works ok. anybody else have one? are there any tricks to using it?
  12. fivestr19

fivestr19 Junior Member

in my onpinion going with a tailgate spreader is kinda silly, ive talked to several guys that say the salt gets cought up on the sides and u think u are out of salt but its just that the salt wont flow towards the neck. Why would u want to get out of your truck and rip open 50 pound bags of salt in the middle of the job. SlimJim Z71 said it takes him a full pallet (2500 Lbs) to do one of his lots, that means 50 bags of salt your going to have to load into the spreader. The lowest price i have found for bagged rock salt is 3.50 a bag, so its going to cost him $175 dollars in just materials. I can go and get a 1.5 tons (3000#) of bulk rock salt for $55 and have it dumped in my v-box and salt the whole lot with out getting out of my truck. So i put $120 extra dollars in my pocket every time i salt. If u salt 35 times per season u would save $4200 dollars and that is about the cost of a v-box salter. I dont know about u guys but i would deffinatly be crying if i didnt have a v-box salter.
  13. Cutter1

Cutter1 Senior Member

My tailgate spreader is one of the best out there. Especially for bulk salt. Its the air flow mini spreader. It has a conveyer belt that pulls the salt out and on to the spinner. Never has it got clogged. I like it better than mose tailgate spreaders, because it doesn't have an auger in it.
  14. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

I bought one used, used it twice, then it sat around for two years til I found another fish who bought it.

As others said, its not very cost-effective using bagged material. Id rather spread with a shovel than worry about filling that Buyers unit, if u dont empty the whole hopper it will flow out on you before you get to the next job so beware.
  15. SlimJim Z71

Actually, the dealership buys the salt, which out here only costs about $3 per 50-lb. bag. As far as loading it into the hopper, it's really not so bad. Here's a quote from the Western web-site on the ProFlo 2:

Capable of spreading all types of material, including wet sand, the WESTERN® PRO-FLO™ 2 spreader sets a new standard for tailgate type spreaders! The two-stage design features a 16" belt conveyor to assure positive feed with all types of materials. The high strength poly hopper has up to 1200 lbs. capacity (10 cu. ft.) on properly equipped vehicles. Spreader height along with the feed gate and deflectors are all adjustable. In-cab control options include an "on-off" switch or variable speed control (shown).

Other PRO-FLO™ 2 features include 1/3 HP, 12V DC motor, large 14-1/2" spinner to increase the spread pattern and center high-mounted stop lamp (CHMSL).

In my opinion, it's a heck of a spreader.
  16. jrblawncare

Fivestr19,You have made some good points,Bill too, But what about Me,I may use it 8 to 10 times this winter{maybe}and at this time do not have alot of clients and I'm just starting out here.JOHN............Hope I'm making the right move getting this speader.

[Edited by jrblawncare on 11-22-2000 at 11:15 PM]
  17. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Make sure you mount that Buyers up as high as you can. Flip the bracket that goes in the receiver if you haven't already. The motor hangs way too low, and you will tear it off. The higher up the better.

18. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

You said it brother!
  19. SlimJim Z71

Oh... by the way, mine cost me $1800, installed.
  20. jrblawncare

Does anyone have any thoughts about the Trynex Snow Ex model sp-575 receiver mount or should I say with the Western w/the swing away mount.Also Will I still be able to pull my 16 ft Landscape trailer with the western installed? THANKS John