1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate spreader question?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mtchockey30, Nov 3, 2009.

1. mtchockey30

mtchockey30 Member
    from MO

I have been searching and researching but thought I would still write a little something to see what everyone still said.. I am looking for a tailgate spreader and I would prefer to be able to use ANY kind of material I want. I have access to bulk salt and that is the big reason I want it to be able to spread most things. I do not see myself spreading sand but you never know. I have heard that the Snowex have been pretty good. I have also thought about Western and Air-Flo MSS. Although the air-flo I think is pretty pricey. I want to spend no more than $2000 and under that if possible. I guess my real question is for the people that have had these spreaders and used them in different ways, which the prefer. Thanks guys
  2. capital

capital Senior Member

bulk material and tail gate spreaders do not go together. we use boss tail gate spreaders but choose those based on dealer relationship. We have a snowex and it is for are atv-will not buy another-again based on different dealer.
  3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have owned both the Air Flo and the Western pro flo 2. They are both great. Even though you have to load the airflo more often that is the one I would pick. I don't trust mirrors and look out the back window most of the time. This is because most of my sites are very dark and it is hard to see. The Western is large and very hard to see around. You can not see right behind you. They are both hard to mount by yourself but you might be able to mount the Airflo.
  4. mtchockey30

mtchockey30 Member
    from MO

thanks for the help guys
  5. thebobcatguy

thebobcatguy Junior Member

look for a tailgate spreader

im look for a tail gate spreader that will spreade sanding chips,salt or ice melt and be able to buy in alberta canada any one have any idea im new to the sanding seen
  6. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

you are aware you arent allowed to spread salt in alberta? on private drives and stuff you can get away with it, but on anything used by the public, a big no no. i am looking at a snow dogg spreader, cheap, good reviews, and well handle sand, even comes with the vibrator for the box, just make sure your sand stays really dry, and try to use a very coarse sand
  7. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

by the way welcome to plow site, i am located in lethbridge, and there are a few alberta dwellers on here too tymusic
  8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Not true, we ran a Fisher 1000 and all we used is bulk salt. All we added was a Karrier 080 vibrator. It worked flawlessly for two seasons. We sold that unit and bought another 1000 but just going to use bagged through it for the 3 places we still use rock salt.

*I will say the salt we were using got a bit frozen one time and a chunk of frozen salt got stuck in the funnel and it was kind of a pita to get it out. But that's one time out of hundreds of uses.

For 2k or under, you can get into a new Fisher 1000 and a vib. only costs 150ish or if you want a 2 stage spreader, 2k will, or should, get you into something like a used SnowEx 1875 or an older Fisher Pro-Flo 2 etc.
  9. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I second the not true. I have run bulk salt thru a Snowex 525 Mini pro for the last 2 years with no problems, this will be my third year with it. good luck everybody.