1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate Spreader Question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Marbleman, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Marbleman

Marbleman Senior Member

Currently looking at a Meyer Blaster to spread Treated Magic Salt (in bulk,not bagged). Looking for feedback from anyone who has used this spreader. How does it work with treated salt? If the salt is a little sticky how does it work? I posed this question on the meyer form and did not get any responses. Thank You in advance

2. Buck125

Buck125 Junior Member
    from 46123

Yes it wet. I use a sno way tailgate spreader vibrator is a must in order to run this bulk material . Also i did a little work to the spreader opening. Sorry dont know much about meyer hope this helps

3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Just make sure it's a "S" model, they come with a vibrator, but you can easily bolt one on.
    I run sand/de icer mix in mine and no problems, just don't load it and run down the road for any distance because it will pack tight.

4. Marbleman

Marbleman Senior Member

Thank you, anyone running treated bulk salt in one?

5. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I dont know about your spreader but i do know that running bulk in a tailgater is problems. I have two. One is a Western Pro Flo II with conveyor. It works but if it gets cold or has been sitting in hopper while i plow, it clumps pretty bad. My regular tailgater with a vibrator is useless with bulk. Buy a Pro Flo II or something that will handle bulk.

6. Marbleman

Marbleman Senior Member

anyone else, looking for some more input before I pull the trigger. Thanks Dave

7. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

SullivanSeptic,'s post pretty much sums it up. I have the salt dog TGS-7 It will run bulk with not too much of a problem but fill the hopper and run down the road it clumps right up. I would suggest getting the salt dog with the auger built in. From what I been hearing you can run dirt thru that thing. I'm looking into one for this season.

8. SullivanSeptic

My buddy runs snowEx's and they have a apinnkng vertical auger and his will not handle bulk. I will say that you will have issues with almost all tailgaters and bulk salt. And if your bulk is at all wet and it's cold out, it will freeze and clump. I'm thinking you will regret buying it. Or you will have to use bagged.

9. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

bagging in out of the question for me. not to get off topic, have any advice on snow dogg's poly V?? My trucks got a 6 foot box?

10. cjwoz

cjwoz Senior Member
    from CHICAGO

I got two tgs06 for sale in Chicago if any one is interested.

11. SullivanSeptic

A lot of guys have them. That will be my next purchase. A salt dogg 1.5 for my short bed. I've heard nothing but great things about them. Cost about $3200 new.

12. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

Yes, I was leaning that way also. Only down side is you lose all your room. There are a few account's I need my small toro for and it's not feasible to have a sidewalk crew make a special trip. :confused:

13. SullivanSeptic

Just strap it to the top. Or make a hanger on side and it will hang from spreader and sit on wheel well. Lots of guys have vboxes and snowblowers.

14. KYsnow

KYsnow Member

I think you have comments on under the tailgate spreaders and the Meyer tailgate blaster. The Meyer Tailgate blaster holds 750 pounds! Is that the one you are looking at?

If it is...

Are you going to dump the bulk salt into the pickup bed and then shovel it into the spreader as needed?

15. Marbleman

Marbleman Senior Member

I am looking at the 350 lb unit. It will be going behind an AG tractor. I will either load it with a bobcat, from an already loaded salter with flip up shute or by buckets.

Thanks

16. KYsnow

KYsnow Member

I thought that was the case. To many references to the under bed type spreader used on dump trucks.

How do you plan on loading only 350 pounds of lose salt, shovel?

So your looking at 7 bags of 50 pound salt to fill the spreader. Clean bagged salt will be around $4 bucks a bag if ordered by the pallet or $160 ton. That's compared to $60-$80 ton for bulk salt. Unless you are going to be filling up the 350 pound spreader a couple hundred times I don't think the bulk savings and problems is worth it.

You could almost just drop a load of salt in the back of a pick-up bed and use a 100 pound push spreader with less trouble than an using a tractor and a 350 lb spreader. At less with the push spreader and truck you wouldn't have to keep going back to get more salt.

17. Marbleman

Marbleman Senior Member

Treated magic is 15.00+/ bag or $600/ ton, treated magic in bulk of is less than 100/ton, which I consider a significant saving. I checked with the factory today and they said I could use a 750, so I am leaning that way. All of my trucks are already busy and I have not found a good spreader to apply magic. My trucks will be in the area so there will be no need to go back to the shop to load up.

18. KYsnow

KYsnow Member

Marbleman wrote.... Treated magic is 15.00+/ bag or $600/ ton, treated magic in bulk of is less than 100/ton, which I consider a significant saving. I checked with the factory today and they said I could use a 750, so I am leaning that way. All of my trucks are already busy and I have not found a good spreader to apply magic. My trucks will be in the area so there will be no need to go back to the shop to load up.

I'm really interested in how you will solve the bulk salt and loading the tailgate spreader. I have used bag salts for years and hate the profit I'm leaving on the table by over paying on bag salt. I just can't figure out a easy way to load the bulk salt into a tailgate spreader when away from the garage. Would you dump the lose bulk salt into the pickup bed and shovel it into the spreader?

Does anyone have a solution for us guys without a bobcat on how to load lose bulk salt into an insert spreader or a tailgate spreader?

19. Marbleman

Marbleman Senior Member

I have one sander that has a flip up shute and am going to hopefully use that, should be able to back right up to it. Also use 5 gallon pails that I purchased for uniformity, can fill 10 at a time with one scoop in the salt bin. then put on a pallet and transport to one of our holding areas to be used as needed.

20. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping Senior Member

you should have no problem using that spreader as long as it has a vibrator. I have a similar model but much older. The auger and vibrator make it spread great