1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tailgate spreader problem

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

I have a snow/ex minipro 575 and a curtis fastcast 2000 (same thing) ok here is the problem. I have had both motors rebuilt and i just replaced the the harness the one that goes from the control box to the motor. My problem is no mater what i do the salt is only flying 5 or 6 feet. I am running bulk salt and i have had dry bulk wet bulk frozen bulk. all the same. I put one of those car starter vibrators on there helps loosen it up but it still isnt flying like it should.. what should i look for. i need to fix this asap. I was fling salt out of the bed of my truck last night by he shovel full while my sidewalk guy drove the truck. he was frozen so i did it, what a nice boss i am LOL. any ideas??

2. drafto

drafto Member

I have the same spreader (575), I bought it used and I put it to work tonight of rthe first time and the same thing happened. I was so unimpressed, it went about 6'-8' even cranked all the way up. Oh, and it chewed up 4 bags of salt in one pass when it should have used one. I hope someone can help with this one????

3. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

This may be a stupid question, but is the motor spinning in the correct direction? My Buyers spins counterclockwise I believe.

4. drafto

drafto Member

Ya know, I was out tonight in the wind and dirfting snow freezing cold shoveling my a$$ off, frozen snot and everything I couldn't wait to get inside. But I think now that you just pointed the most obvious thing out I feel so dumb I may have to run outside in my undies to run my spreader and look at it to see. Thanks man you must have stayed at a holiday inn express last night!

5. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

I have a small stainless western on one of my trucks. It clogs all the time, even with dry bagged salt. It is a gravity feed, no auger. I was looking at a new 575. Is it any good. Let me no if you get the problems fixed. My dealer can get it t me for under $1,000 new - good guy price.

6. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Buy the BIG one..... 575 does not hold enough material. You will be filling it every block. My SnoEx holds 700lbs and still emptys pretty fast.

7. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

the 1075 is the way to go from what i heard, the one that is above that is a 2 stage its a 1875 i think more money but i know a few guys who run them and love them

8. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

I have a vee pro 8000 that does 95% of the salting. This is for small lots only. The truck that it is on has to hold 10 bags or rock, 5 bags of Ice Melt, 2 hand spreaders, at least 3 snow blowers, Rubber made bin with tools, gas, and parts.

My truck has a receiver hitch welded to the bottom left (and right ) of the existing factory hitch, so the spreader sits the left side of the truck. I need a narrow spreader so I still have bed access. I know that they make a swing out gate but, its too slow and the spreader has to be empty. I take my tail gate off and use a 2*4 in the slot to keep things from falling off. The shoveler can lift the blower out of the truck quickly and on his own. If I ever buy a digital camera I post pics of my set up.- It needs to snow first.

9. drafto

drafto Member

To go back to the point here real quick, the propeller is spinning in the right direction and this thing is just tossing salt everywhere, high and low, no matter what the speed is. I like the set up but last night it dropped 200#'s of salt in one pass, it should have used 50#. If I turn the speed down it still drops too much but just doesn't throw it as far. I might have gotten a 10' throw, total throw, 5' each side. I see other guys spreading with a nice stream coming out nice and even. I don't know if it is the spreader or me, I am new to salting but I am not that big of a goof? Does anyone else have this problem or have advice?

10. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

I'm not sure but I would just drive faster. My snow ex does't throw it the 40ft. they claim.

11. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

With my SnowEx 1075 spreader I can keep it on the lowest setting (10) and cruz at 20mph..while laying down a good amount of material,,,even more if I slow down a bit. I slow down for intersections and hit the "blast" button and this all seems to work well.

Also...check the spinner plate and make sure it is fastened in place and not damaged.

12. drafto

drafto Member

it is the old style spinner with the metal tabs on it, that are bent on an angle, does anyone have this style? Maybe that is the problem?

13. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

Do you have a pic. of that spinner?

14. drafto

drafto Member

Update....1/18/04.........I am willing to admit the it was user error that was the problem with my spreader. I used it tonight and I actually took the time to see what as going on at the back of my truck. The 575 does not throw the salt as far as i thought is would but it did spread it evenly and the right amount. Believe it or not, the light I had back there was the problem, the reflection off all the salt being thrown was making it look (in my mirror) that it was not working properly, everything is worked out, I like the spreader. Sorry for any misleading I did during any of my posts.