1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tailgate spreader on crew cab?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by plowman350, Feb 3, 2005.

1. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

This year I'm salting 2 VERY small parking lots. We're talking 4-6 bags of salt at each location. I've plowed for years, but first year on my own, so I bought a Meyer Hotshot Push spreader to do these 2 lots.

I have 5 commercial accounts (3 offices, 2 HOA streets) and about 17 residential. I do all of this with an F350 Crew Cab. It's a monster truck on driveways, but I've gotten pretty good with it, and the crew cab is what I needed for the 355 days I'm not plowing each year.

Finally, a question: Does anyone have a tailgate spreader on a crew cab while doing driveways? I'm already backdragging half the drives, and the spreader would make it that much longer. Anybody do this, or have any advice. Next year, I'd like to do the salt with a truck-spreader, and pick up more salt accts. Any suggestions or experience?

Plow+Spreader+Truck = 20+ Feet length!!!
  2. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

A receiver unit will make for a looooooong truck. You could mount a tailgate unit in the bed, or if your lots are small put a small (6cu ft) receiver unit on.
  3. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

I'm running a Western 1000 on a 2004 Chevy extended cab. Truck length is 27 feet. I have both large and small lots as well as a couple drives. It's tight sometimes, but it can be done. To me the spreader makes all the difference in the world. I have spread all but 1 day this week. Got 2 calls to spread just because they saw the spreader on the back of my truck. Picked up 1 account this year just because the other guy didn't have a spreader. My dealer told me I would make more money spreading than I would pushing and so far he is almost right. As far as the truck length...I've only knocked down one mailbox this year backing up :(
  4. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

One of our trucks is a '02 2500HD Chevy Crew Cab, it has a Proflo2 on it at all times during weather. I would never not have it. It has paid for itself its first year, and i am much warmer for it! Salting/Sanding is the way to go, as much of a full service as you can offer the better. If you need any more info feel free to contact me.

5. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

The Freedom isn't free is much understtod and appreciated. Let us never forget.
    VFMA 1982
  6. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I have a Buyers tailgate spreader on a '99 Chevy extended cab long bed. Yes, it is a little harder getting in tight places but I still can plow my few driveways. But I mostly do commercial. The spreader doesn't make that much differnece though.
  7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

It will definitely slow you down when reversing, put some lights on it, and if it still gets in your way, dump the residential and pick up more commercial. It's one of the best investments you can make in this business.
  8. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

Thanks for the responses. I think in the future I'll have more commercial lots, and will get a spreader at that point. Right now 60% of my business hours are spent on residential. Being solo, it seems to be a better fit right now, espoecailly with all the early morning snows we've been having. If I had any more commercials I wouldn't have gotten them done by their opening deadlines. So, residential has been good for me this year, and much more forgiving as far as what time it needs to be done.

Thanks for the input. I'll be adding a bigger spreader to my arsenal when I grow the business a little more.
  9. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Every job (Large commercial to small residential) very possible with a spreader.

Have a 2002 F-350 Crew Cab with a Meyer Poly 8.5 plow and SnowEx VPro8000 it continues to give me what I want!

Dont waste the truck............ use it to the absolute fullest!