1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate spreader on a mason dump?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Shade Tree NJ, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Shade Tree NJ

Shade Tree NJ Senior Member

Anyone have a tailgate spreader mounted on a mason dump? Don't have enough properties yet to justify buying a "big boy" spreader. All the tailgate spreaders I have come across mount into the trailer hitch but on the mason dump there is not hitch reciver, just the trailer hitch mounted.
    Thanks in advance

2. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

The money you save bulk vs. bagged, you should just buy a big boy shredder. IMO, for what its worth.

3. procut

procut Senior Member

I've seen a few guys running around with tailgate spreaders on 1 ton dumps. You would have to fab some kind of mount, but I don't think that would be terribly difficult.

Depending on if the spreader you use; you can have bulk dumped in the box of the truck and shovel it into the spreader if you want the savings vs. using bagged.

4. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Do you have a pintel hitch bolted on the back of your truck? If you do you can buy a blt on 2 inch reciever that bolts rights where your pintel hitch is. I have that style hitch on my dump right now. That sounds like that would make your life easier.

5. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

i have a western pro flo 2 mounted on a mason dump. I just took the undermount bracket that it used previously to mount to the pickup and fabricated it to work using the existing tailgate mounts on the dump truck. It works pretty well. On the plus side, it holds 3yds of bulk in the bed and the driver takes the cover off when being loaded so it fills the spreader as well. On the negative side, it is used commercially and my driver isn't too keen on constantly filling it by hand. Next year I will replace it with a replacement tailgate spreader from truckcraft, but for now it works. My opinion would be to go bigger if you can swing it, I had this unit not being used, so I utilized it. Looking forward to uprgrading it.

6. Shade Tree NJ

Shade Tree NJ Senior Member

Have any pics of the setups you guys are running?

As I said in earlier post I just can't justify the big spreader yet and the real boss (wife) won't give me the ok to buy it yet. Lol
    Just looked up the bolt on two inch receiver, didn't even know that they were made but will prob be going that route since it is prob the easiest.
    Thanks

7. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

8. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I mounted one to my tailgate, so I could still haul different materials all winter and still use the tailgate if need be. Only took advantage of that a few times, then a few years later bought Western Tornado. Snowex has a swing away mounting braket that is easy to fab up to most applications, I never used the swing away feature.

March 11, 2008 010.jpg

9. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Markus, any more pics of that truck??? Aluminum box?

10. Mr.Markus

11. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

are those both 3/4 ton dumps??

12. Mr.Markus

Yes SRW 3500's.

13. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

how much weight can you legally carry in one of those?

14. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I would personally not waste the time doing a hitch mount, or fabbing up something for a hitch mount.

I would go with an electric under-tailgate spreader personally. Not only would you eliminate loading the the spreader by hand, but the clean-out is relatively simple.

Occasionally I get home from an event and won't deal with the salt until the next day if I'm tired. If the salt freezes around the auger, then all I have to do is drop the clean out trough and get the salt out. Usually only takes 5-10 minutes.

That and you can still drop the tailgate of the truck over the auger and still use your dump bed to haul other materials in the winter.

15. Mr.Markus

Truck GVWR is still 9900lbs with the box empty it (The diesel) weighs 7600lbs so only about 2300lbs.The gasser a little more.

16. Mr.Markus

The only problem I ran into with undertailgates was that they covered all my lights, I did not want to have to run a new set of lights even though it would've been easy with the trailer coupler right there. This was a cheap easy solution.

17. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Ya, I can say that the only lights that get covered up on mine is the three markers in the center. But even then I can drop the spreader tailgate to cover the auger and it makes them visible.

My spinner partially covers one of my stop/tail/turn/parking truck lights, but, I'm lucky enough to have stop/tail/turn/park lights on top of my headache rack facing backwards for better visibility.