1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate spreader on a dump trailer

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by My bowtie, Nov 13, 2008.

1. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Anyone put a tailgate spreader on a dump trailer? (not a receiver type). Any thoughts on this. I really dont want to put a V-box in my pickup as its my dd, and dont want to run around with it all winter. Dont have anyway to easly remove the v-box when I dont need it.
    Yes I have though about a v-box in the dumptrailer also. I have a 1/2 mile HA gravle road that I sub out, and was thinking of doing it myself.......... ussmileyflag

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i think your spinner would be too low to the ground , and pulling a trailer in snow , not the greatest

backing up? if your only doing roads, its not too bad an idea...if you do anything else your crazy

let me ask you , do you only do this one 1/2 road as your only account? i dont think that you would make any money on it..... the cost would be too much

how would you poer it? it would have to be electric , more than likley ..... 1/2 mile isnt that big ,

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I salted with a trailer like this for 3 years and we put close to 20 ton /storm down then doing parking lots. You have to drive very carefully but it's much better then a V in the back of your truck,
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=68511

4. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

I like that trailer/sander. That is how i got the idea of using my dump trailer. I realise the dump trailer idea would be a PITA for residentials. I currently sub all of my sanding, and make some$$ for making a phone call, but was thinking of doing it myself. Im thinking that a 2nd truck as a backup/sander would probally be the best bet...But I already own the trailer and was just getting some pros and cons to the idea.........ussmileyflag

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The trailer would be easier to load and unload the sand into the box plus you can carry extra sand on the trailer.