1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate spreader motor

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by frogman, Dec 17, 2002.

1. frogman

frogman Member
    from MD

Hello All,
    My tailgate spreader (Buyers, mini, 600 lbs cap with variable speed control, 3 yrs old) has been giving me a small glitch this year. The motor is mounted under the spreader. It sticks at irratic intervals. Maybe averages every 200 lbs. I'll get out of the truck, give it a spin and she's good to go for another couple of hundred pounds. It tends to occur after I've shut it off but occasionally will stop mid-run. I'm using bagged salt (Halite) and have been breaking up the clumps and it's still exhibiting the same problem. I've checked the wires,leads and cleaned all connections and re-aligned the auger so as not to rub against the shute liner.Consequently, I am inclined to suspect the motor. I've kept it in fairly good shape by rinsing after each event and spraying with WD or PB Blaster. I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Bob

2. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Yes-- it's in the motor

I take all my electric motors to a little old motor repair shop who takes them apart rebuilds them all for about $25.00. Not worth me working on them for that cost.:waving:

3. frogman

frogman Member
    from MD

Thanks Ohiosnow.
    Is this a typical problem for this type of rig? I've only put about 5 tons of salt through it. Perhaps my expectations are too high for this caliber of equipment but I thought that I'd get more op hours out of the motor before a rebuild.
    Bob

4. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

It happens because when you stop spreading and drive the salt kinda packs into the auger and jams it up. happens on occasion to us with the same type of spreader.

5. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

yes

As landman states it can pack & jam but to stop in mid run is usually motor problem.

After about 50+ repairs on sarter motors for all my buds I see them lasting about 1 1/2 to 2 yrs. At $200.00 + for a motor I have them rebuilt & they last the same but when they die after the rebuild they are junk. But who cares as you saved $$$

My Buyers salter has had 30+ tons of salt thru it but then again the motor is in the hopper under a cover & lid.;)

6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I think the under-hopper motors go bad faster than the in-hopper motors, seems like if they dont get rotten from moisture in em they get knocked off. Mine is in the hopper and covered by a bucket to keep the salt off of it, when it goes, i might try to mimick the western belt-drive system, we'll see, its only going on its second year.

7. frogman

frogman Member
    from MD

Thanks guys,
    That's the insight I was looking for.
    Bob

8. rainair

rainair Senior Member

Buyers tailgate spreader motors

if its the small buyers spreader, I got 3 motors I need to send back to them... they [ :cry: after much barking :gunsfiring: ] sent me the big motor. the small one was not enough for the unit..
    so if you have the small motor, call them up and raise cane you might get them to send you the bigger motor...