1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tailgate spreader mods... pic request

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by rocksbite, Jan 10, 2013.

1. rocksbite

rocksbite Member

im all about making something out of nothing. i picked up an old meyers mini salt spreader. i replaced the motor, made a motor cover out of carbon fiber to keep the salt off and hopefully get more then one year out of it, looking for a small motor to make a vibrator and also looking for ideas for the top screen. i have an idea for a poly dump door and poly sliders. id like to see what else you guys have come up with to improve on the basic unit.

im thinking about some type of internal auger to keep the salt from freezing and wading up.

2. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

I added 3 Led lights to my old Meyer. 2 red oval led that were wired to the stop tail and turns and also a self contained yellow led strobe all light were by Maxxima. Just to add some visibility when its hanging of the back. I never had an issue with the motor on mine just kept it rinsed off after use

3. rocksbite

rocksbite Member

What did you use for the plugs for the light wires

4. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

Used the wiring pig tails made for the lights and made a harness to go to a seven wire trailer plug or whatever plug you are running on your truck and plug them in. Ran the strobe to the marker light wire so it was on when the lights were on.

5. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

I will try to get a pic of my current set up on my Western Proflo 2