1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate spreader hookup

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by County_Trucking, Feb 1, 2006.

1. County_Trucking

County_Trucking Junior Member

I am currently in the process of looking for a roller tailgate spreader for my F450 dump truck. This is the kind of spreader that bolts under the tailgate that has the big roller in it used for spreading limestone, gravel, etc. My question is, can I run this unit off the hydraulic pump that operates my dump bed (PTO pump that runs off the 5spd tranny) or do I need to install a seperate hydraulic pump? If i have to put on a seperate pump, i would assume that a smaller electric/hydrauilc poumo would work. (??) Thanks!

2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i would think it would work. are you talking about a speader like one a state truck for salt? if so you will need i diverter valve also and if you step on the clutch the PTO stops spinning.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You can only use your PTO if it is a consent duty rated. If you use any thing else it will burn up. Elec/hydra is not suitable for that kind of work. Volume is the issue, there's not enough. A pair of 12 volt motors with rheostats, and a gear reduction unit on the auger (the big roller)would be the way to go if you were using electric.
    The easiest way would be continuous duty Pump on your PTO. It will probably require a additional fluid tank as well. Change it out if it's wrong, or you can have another system Hydraulic power system added under the hood.