1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate spreader hitting hitch plate?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by He575, Sep 24, 2016.

1. He575

He575 Junior Member

I'm looking at a new dump truck to buy (f450). And I wanna put a electric under tailgate spreader on it. But when I was lookin at it there isn't a lot of room from back of tailgate to the hitch plate and was wondering if it would hit when you put the bed up in the air. let me know if anyone has ran into this problem before

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

They mount more behind the tailgate than under. Biggest issue is normally the spinner hitting the ground when bed is raised.

IMG_20140131_130610_543.jpg

3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

I've installed them. No problem with it hitting the hitch. The spinner motor sits kinda low. Just get an extra cover and the short harness that's in the cover. Other problem, when there new drivers forget it's there and feel the need to back into something.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I removed the pintle hitch. But as was said plenty of clearance

5. jdsquire

jdsquire Member

Had one on a F450, never had a problem with the spinner hitting the ground. Just had to watch it on the bumper. Always told anyone new that operated it to pay attention.

6. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

Ground clearance is generally the issue, unless of course you never overload your trucks. There is a spacer bar that will keep the spinner from hitting the hitch plate.

7. He575

He575 Junior Member

image.jpeg

See what u mean with not a lot of room. I was thinking once you put the bed up it'd hit the hitch plate

8. He575

He575 Junior Member

See attached pic

image.jpeg

9. He575

He575 Junior Member

Another pic

image.jpeg

10. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

The part closest to truck is tapered but if you still concerned look into replacement tailgate spreaders.

11. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

Shouldn't be an issue

12. FOMOCOMAN

FOMOCOMAN Junior Member
    from N E Pa

Yes, I've had them hit. Depends on type of body. If your body frame ends at the hitch plate it can be an issue.