1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate spreader help

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by srl28, Jan 5, 2012.

1. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

I need a spreader for my truck, I dont do the majority of our plowing but handle some of our lots closest to my home. I have a crew cab f250 with the short bed. I'd love a vbox but don't want to spend the money and have had a hard time finding many that will fit in that short of a bed of course. So I've narrowed it down to a hitch mounted spreader and will run bagged (bagged should be fine for the amount I'll be doing with this truck). Dont want to make the truck longer than I have to as its pretty long as is. Not looking to break the bank either.

Have boss, buyers, fisher, western, magnum dealers in my area.

Wouldn't mind doing the install myself to save some money and buy the spreader online or something, if you dont think its too hard or worthwhile.

Any suggestions on a good spreader, given what I'm looking for and whats available near me?

2. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

western 1000 is a great spreader snowex 575 or 1075 also i have them no trobles

3. martincare29

martincare29 Member

look on line craigslist it fo sure . saltdogg boss there all good you can even build your mounting arms your self.
    as for putting it in you truck that should not take you to long at all if your a bit handy with tools you can always get the wire gram and mounting papers off line from the companys web site. hope it works for you

4. R.J.B.

R.J.B. Member

I am looking into the same spreaders. it will be interesting on what guys on here prefer..

5. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

The Magnum is a good spreader. I currently have a Snowex 575 and am pleased. You can definitely do the install yourself, all it is is fishing wires to the back, to the battery, and into the cab for the controller. No advice on the other spreaders you have listed.

6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Tim,

Those are decent choices for what you describe. If you lay the right story on a local dealer you might be able to get them to match a price and still have local support. Used spreaders are a gamble, especially in a small unit. If they're worked real hard, you never know when a motor might crap out. That said they're cheap enough (Motors).

7. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Who's Tim??

I'm not going to go used, cant find anything worth anything. Was only going to go used if I could find a small poly v-box or something like that.

Was quoted $1,450 and $1,650.00 for Western/Fisher 500 and 1000 series salters respectively

8. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

the western 500 does not compare to the western 1000.. the 1000 is way better spreader i have spreed serveral truckloads of bag salt with mine and its still works like new ... same with my snowex 575 and 1075... the western 500 has no grate makes it harder to load is why i didnt like it... makes difference when your handleing 100 or more 50 lb bags every time it snows... with the grate you can lay bag on it cut with razer knife and it fall in .its faster and easyer on your back ..v box is the way to go if you have acess to bulk salt or a loader and a place to store it ..ussmileyflag

9. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

SnowEx has a nice unit

You can go with a SnowEx 575 or 1075. They are both nice spreaders. If you do want to go a little larger, SnowEx offers a 7550 that will fit in a short bed. We use several of them.

Good luck.

10. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I would either go with a snow ex or boss. I personally have a blizzard LP8 and love it. I didn't like the western or fishers because they have a stupid mounting system that I didn't care for. Boss is a awesome spreader! I had one and lived it. It has the quick hitch and wheels on the spreader so hook up was a breeze! I like the idea of the swing away hitch on the snow ex but I don't like drilling holes in my truck either which is a downfall. I also have used a saltdogg and they are not in the same ballpark as the others. I the the tgs07 and hated every time I used it. Had to shut the gate every time you stopped or refilled. It was just a pita plus was really tall and blocked you rear vision some. Just do some research online and look at everyone's and compare. That is the best way to see all the features and you can decide exactly what works the best for you.

11. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

We have the SnowEx 575 and 1075. Zero problems and the install is a snap.

12. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

While at a BOSS dealer getting some parts last year I was watching the owner install a BOSS salter on a newer truck. He looked up at me and said " you would be smart NOT to get these BOSS salters". I chuckled and looked at my truck with the SnowEx v-box sitting in it.

But, that was coming from a long time BOSS dealer. I have used a Western 100 for many years before the v-box and will swear/attest to their reliability and ease of use. I ran 100's of tons threw the last Western 1000 and still have it. Still works like new with no problems.

13. SnowGuy73

He didn't go into detail as to why he didn't like the Boss spreader?

14. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

They are big and bulky to install yourself if you dont have the quick hitch set up. If you have the quick hitch they are a breeze. Personally I will stick with the snowex we have now they are much easier to install.

15. SnowGuy73

O I love the snowex spreaders, awesome!

16. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

me too

I run several snowex spreaders as well as this year we put into service a VSS Liquid application sprayer. It's awesome......

17. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Something about the gate on it? He also mentioned motor placement and he has had to warranty a few. Am not educated on BOSS spreaders myself but I believe it was a 500 model? Not sure as I did not pay much attention to it. Thumbs Up

18. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

I have the snow ex 575 with the pivot pal. Spreader work great and the swing away work great too. No need to drill holes. Just mounts right to your trailer receiver

19. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Wound up with a buyers TGS07 for this truck. Love it! works great, holds a ton! Do wish that the auger and spinner weren't on the same motor so they could work at different speeds but it is a tailgate salter after all. Been a great salter the little bit we've used it lol