1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

*tailgate spreader help*

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by vernislm, Nov 3, 2011.

1. vernislm

vernislm Junior Member

I got my first salting job this season. Its a small property around 18k square ft. I'm looking for advise on a spreader. Will be using bagged salt.

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

What Ever your purchase is, make sure you get a vibrator!

3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

If its the "only" lot you have to salt...I would just use a walk behind broadcast spreader.

4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

X2 on that.....I would Not go out an spend alot of money on a Tailgate Spreader if thats your only lot......Buy a decent walkbehind and keep your eyes open for a Good " Used" Tailgate spreader....

My Wife will sell you hers....Its pretty worn out...:eek:

5. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Matson:

The vibrator would not be worn out if you did your job!!!1

6. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

i would look at craiglist for one.... i got my first one for a 100.00 bucks not the best looking BUT it worked GREAT...

7. vernislm

vernislm Junior Member

This is the only lot that I have, I hope to get a few more in the future. I picked up a used Snowex 1075. Where is a good place to buy a vibrator, is there a certain brand or size to get, Thanks for all the help.

8. BossPlow2010

About Just above where the hopper gets very narrow.
    Did you get the pivot pro?

9. vernislm

vernislm Junior Member

Yes its a pivot pro, not on the truck yet but it looks like a nice unit.

10. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

No need for a vibrator with dry bagged salt. Save your money.

11. BossPlow2010

Until you fill it up with 15 bags and start driving over some bumps and it gets all compacted down

12. broncscott

broncscott Senior Member

If you only put the amount of salt you need for each application you won't have much trouble with it getting clogged up.

13. BossPlow2010

I'll remember that next time mine gets clogged up and I'm kicking the chute trying to free the salt.

14. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Hey dont listen to these "funny guys" you bought a good unit for a first timer. Make sure you keep your bagged salt >>>DRY<<< and the tub you put it in dry also. We have several of these units and have never used a vibrator, yes never...keep the bagged or bulk dry and the tub dry and no problems. Also look at getting a SnowEx storage box for the back of your truck. We use these for bagged and bulk and it keeps the salts nice and dry.

15. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Goode choice on the 1075

We use the 1075 as well as many other snowex spreaders. We have not had a problem spreading bagged material out of the 1075. Not to say someone hasn't but our experience has been good.

16. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Well... Duh... :dizzy: