1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tailgate spreader electric motor woes

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by yardsmith, Oct 27, 2013.

1. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

hey guys
    I have a few tailgate spreaders (the kind with the bigger motor at the bottom with the 6" x 6" mounting plate), & have yet to have one of those motors make it into a 3rd season due to salt & corrosion. They come with the hard plastic dust cap to keep corrosion out but we all know how well that works.... I've used OEM & the $80 motors you get on ebay with similar results. I try to wash them off regularly, but to no avail. Maybe I should be super diligent & wash them after every outing; anybody found a way to make them last? I was thinking maybe clear silicone near the spindle or something... wesport
    thanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

every year it seems im replacing the last outside motor salter we have seems that its a bad design and that's why everyone went to inside motors

3. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

yeah but the problem, is the inside motors suck & don't have near the power (at least mine doesn't). Anything but clean rock salt & the ins. motor one won't throw it. The other one will.