1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate spreader covers license plate?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Lasher66, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

Just wondering what you guys do when your tailgate spreader is on and your license plate is no longer visible. I have a Snow ex 1075 and I get kind of nervous when cops are around. Thanks

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Cops here in Michigan don't even give you a second look. Snowex does sell a license plate bracket so you can relocate it if you want.

Regards Mike
  3. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I think the consensus is the cops tend to look the other way when the snows flying and you're working, but if your out for some other reason with the salter on, you're probably pushing your luck.
  4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

definetly depends where you are and how bad of a day the cop is having. .:gunsfiring::help:

locally i dont think they would pull anybody over for it if snow was in the area..
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We've ran around here for years and never had a problem. (touch wood)
  6. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Is that the Canadian version of 'knocking on wood'?? Maybe it got lost in translation.... like Lacross? "'Touching wood" sounds gross, definitely something i wouldn't do!

roflmao :jester:
  7. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

We have been running around with our plates hidden for years with no problems. I have always looked at it as a single use trailer( air compressor,cement mixer, welder). You don't need a plate on these and they block your trucks plate just the same as a spreader. I don't know if this theory would mean you need a reciver mount or not. ( yes these are the silly things I think about!!!) Anyways I don't know anyone that has been busted for this. I am sure it has happened though. Just my $.02, Good Luck!!!
  8. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

I am a chance taker so I guess it will just stay hidden. If I were to get pulled over, I am sure most cops would probably just give a warning. Just have to make sure its not a night when I have a drink or 12 (haha).

9. vector330ix

vector330ix Junior Member
    from nh

NH Law

NH is big on this. your plate must be visiable at all times. I've been pulled over IN a big storm. "do you know your plate is covered by snow sir? you must clear that snow off if you back into a snow bank." Nashua NH police have given me alot of trouble with that. my buddy even got a ticket for not having a flashing light on this truck.

10. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

The 1875 Has One....if Not Send 2 Self-tappers Thru -___________________
  11. vector330ix

vector330ix Junior Member
    from nh

or how about a ziptie?
  12. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I work at our local State Police, and I was told (by a Lieutenant) to move it or get a ticket last year. I had to move it on my old Meyer's mini jr to the back of the spreader and put a light on and the whole nine yards. I now have a Fisher 1000 and there was a place for the license plate already on it. But I was already told to move it. Talking with the Troopers, they all said they could care less.
  13. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

I found this pic on the picture forum...good ideeeee

14. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

why that would be me holms, the 1875 already has the holes in her.
  15. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

no plates on the back here on trucks, only have them on the front and the plow covers the plate....never had any trouble. i wouldn't even licence the truck if i were you... my newest salt/plow truck will NOT be licenced, they will never see the plate anyway. besides that why licence something that only gets driven about 8 days out of the year. BTW it is insured..........
  16. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

What if gramps T_BONES ya or visa versa.......
  17. CleanSweep&Plow

CleanSweep&Plow Junior Member
    from No.

:gunsfiring: He would have to be a jerk to give you a ticket. Just go about your business, and if you get pulled over just play stupid or tell him you'll plow his driveway.
  18. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

good answer....
  19. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

ive only gotten a warning about the rear plate once. it was in fact covered with snow but the lights were out on it . didnt get a ticket nor did i get it fixed. never had another cop say bother me about it
  20. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

There is always that one dick I mean police officer that will give you ****. But all in all they don't really give a poo. Enjoy