1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate spreader and solar salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by frogman, Feb 27, 2003.

1. frogman

frogman Member
    from MD

The rock salt/halite supply has run out around here. Pleanty of solar and at the same price. I've been running it through my Buyers spreader over the last 36 hours and what a hassle. Out of the truck many many times to "kick spin" the auger. The larger pieces are jamming it up. The suppliers around here say that the rocksalt supply is done for the year and maybe into next. They say there is plenty of solar, to last. I'm thinking about grinding off 1/8 - 1/4" from the auger edge to accomodate the solar salt.
    Any comments or thoughts on this?
    Bob

2. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

try putting a couple bags in a cement mixer with some bricks and bust up the pieces i never tried it but dont see why it would not work

3. whitetail

whitetail Junior Member

I run solar salt in my buyers TGS05 spreader and have great luck with it. I spread 1200 pounds on Friday with only 3 jam ups. All from the same bag of salt I think. Originally I had many problems with the amount of salt that would come out. My motor was wired with the red on #2 and the black on #1 which caused the auger to turn clockwise and not let much salt out, (it came from the factory like this), it would take 15 to 20 minutes to dump a 40 lb bag. After switching the wires the spinner and auger turn counter clockwise and it will dump a 40 lb bag in 18 seconds on #5 speed. I have not had any problems putting down salt since this fix.