1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tailgate Speader Vs. V-Box

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bolensdriver, Nov 2, 2004.

1. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

How many miles would a tailgate spreader spread for a mile? On an average setting?

Hardly anyone here uses tailgate spreaders, I knew of one Chinese man who owned one and he used it for sanding his driveway after the plow man plowed. But he sold it.

So, how many miles can the tailgate spreader cover?
  2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

It depends on alot of factors, How fast is the spinner going around, how big is the hopper? Is the salt wet or dry,dry salt flows better so you will use more. How fast are you driving? I bought a tailgate spreader last year and just sold it. I am going to get a snow ex 8000 v box. I will not be able to fill it all the way for lack of customers,but I get bulk salt alot cheaper than bags. I don't have to open them and dump them into the spreader. I wish I would have bought the vbox last year.

Regards Mike
  3. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

Hey Mike

I would recommend not to buy the Trynex VeePro. Been there, done that. It doesn't move salt like it should. The vibrator is not big enough for the unit. It gets jammed when there is a piece of cinder in the salt, when it gets jammed, it gets jammed. You can't fix it without digging out, removing parts etc. I would run straight salt through it even a hard clump of salt (the size of a golf ball) would jam it. The theory of the unit is great, the use of it is not for a snow removal professional relying of his equipment to run constantly. These problems are abundant with all who own them. I have learned when buying equipment, go with what is tried and field tested and let someone else work the kinks out. You don't have time to talk to trynex and tell them how they should fix their product (which is what I did). Thats just my two cents.